PDA

View Full Version : VZ24 question

BudT
04-28-2013, 10:18
I have a VZ24 Mauser that I am thinking about building into a hunting rifle but before I do I wanted to find out something about this rifle, it might change it to a keep it or sell it to someone else that collects. Are the VZ24's date stamped on the side of the reciever above the serial number? This rifle has what looks to be a E4 (tiny crest stamp)38 above the serial number G5 (space)8XX. I have not seen this on other VZ24's and wonder if it something odd that I shouldnt do anything with.

Thanks

Hal O'Peridol
04-28-2013, 09:33
That stamp is the year the rifle was accepted into Czech Army inventory.

twh
04-29-2013, 04:48
E-4 means accepted by Povarska Bystrica and the 38 is 1938. If crested I would leave it alone and if not up to you.

dave
04-29-2013, 06:22
It should have a large standing lion crest on top of reciever. Depending what may have matched numbers (barrel, reciever, stock, bolt--only) it could be worth 2-300 dollars. Its collectable if bolt only is m/m., not so much if 2 or more numbers are m/m. The Bystrica made rifles are much scarcer then Brno. I would be interested if you sell as I do collect Czech rifles.

BudT
04-29-2013, 09:59
Thanks Hal

BudT
04-29-2013, 09:59
twh, yes it is crested

BudT
04-29-2013, 10:10
Yes dave it has the standing lion crest on the top of the reciever and it is a very strong crest. The bolt is straight handle and the numbers do not match but from what I can see the rest do as well as the very dark red color stock. The stock has sling swivels 4 of them 2 on the side and two in the normal places. Bore/groves is what I call pretty rough and dark with very strong rifleing and it does shoot fair. Small circle z all over the place it also has both of the lock screws for the mag/action screws. The stock cross bolt below the reciever ring is dished on the left side.I have yet to take this rifle apart to look for whats hidden and out of sight.

thanks

twh
04-29-2013, 07:21
I would leave it alone. Relatively easy to find a scrubbed one with a good barrel to make a deer rifle out of.