PDA

View Full Version : Approx what serial number did they start stampiing the V, P, & EAGLE on the barrel?

rayg
04-28-2013, 08:57
A friend just called that he just bought a 1873 carbine serial number approx. 165,000 and it doesn't have those stamps on the Left side of the barrel and I can't remember the approx. serial number they began stamping those proofs on the barrel and I'm away from my books for the moment so I can't look it up. He says his carbine doesn't have them. I thought that number was a bit too high for it not to have those stamps, Ray

Dick Hosmer
04-28-2013, 10:52
That's WAY high - consensus seems to have it beginning at somewhere around 45,000.

rayg
04-28-2013, 11:36
Thanks, Dick, that's what I thought. He said it had a butt trap so I knew the stock was later. I asked him to look the area over good to see if the stamps had beed removed/refinished. He said there is no finish remaining and can't see any signs of grinding/buffing. But there is some pitting there and he will check closer. I had him measure the barrel dia and length and the stock for a cleaning rod channel and all checked out for a carbine. I'll have to take a look at it when I see it, Ray

Kragrifle
04-28-2013, 12:43
Dick,
The first stamps were the smaller V P and eagle. Larger stamps came about around 125K?

Dick Hosmer
04-28-2013, 01:13
Yes, smaller letters and eagle head were first - but - again - the changeover is lower, in the mid-60K range (per Al Frasca) but with a broad period of overlap.

I hate to say it, but, with the spread of TIG and MIG welding to the "hobbyist" level, that once-proofed barrels are being "cleaned up" for fun and profit. So, one needs to look at the barrel shank end as well. Of course, if major larceny is being planned, that area will be built up and re-profiled as well. There's just no end to what can, and will, be done, with early carbines in the mid four figures and climbing.