PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Holster question

bobby L
04-27-2013, 04:40
I purchase an old "U.S" 1911 hoster at a military collectors flea market about fifeteen years ago for my Argentine Colt and have a question about it that maybe someone can shed some light on. Instead of the standard "stud post'' and 'hole" flap retrainer, the flap is retained by a "snap"button" instead. I've asked several people about it and never got a definite answer as to whether it was a 'repair job' on a worn out stud/hole fastner system, or a limited odd duck holster made with this snap retension system.

The overall quality of the holster and it's leather condition is very good but very old, as evidenced by it's brass pistol belt hanger. I could not find a Manufacture's name on any leather and the stamping inside the snap itself is impossible to read.

My main concern is whether this flap snap is sufficiently strong enough to keep the pistol secure if ever taken out into the boonies. I would of course keep the pistol lanyard leashed to my person in any event.

I would really also like to know, if in fact, this snap was a repair of a standard stud and hole sytem or an exeception to the millions of US holsters made specifically for the 1911.

Anyone's thoughts on my question would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny P
04-27-2013, 05:52
Pictures would help, but most likely an aftermarket holster. I have seen the Model 1916 holster modified with a snap, but it was done after it left the military.

bobby L
04-27-2013, 06:07
Thanks Johnny P