PDA

View Full Version : Surplus .303 ammo puzzle.

Barryeye
04-27-2013, 12:00
I found this box0f 32 rounds of .303 at the bottom of my ammo chest. I can’t remember when or where I bought it. Can anyone tell me what I have; is it corrosive and why the unusual number of 32? In case it is collectable I have left the box sealed and as a result I can’t photograph the head stamp yet.

JBinIll
04-27-2013, 02:38
The label tells the story.P.O.F.,Pakistan Ordnance Factory,corrosive primers probably loaded with Cordite.It does not have a very good reputation on the surplus ammo market,lots of click bangs,misfires,hang fires.The 32 round boxing,not a clue,Brit produced ammo was boxed the same way.I have had other P.O.F. 303 ammo that came on chargers,ten rounds in a box.

Tuna
04-27-2013, 06:55
How many rounds does a Lewis magazine hold? I think the Bren holds 30 but don't know about the Lewis. Magazine capacity is usually
the reason for amount of rounds in a package but not always.

Barryeye
04-27-2013, 01:55
The label tells the story.P.O.F.,Pakistan Ordnance Factory,corrosive primers probably loaded with Cordite.It does not have a very good reputation on the surplus ammo market,lots of click bangs,misfires,hang fires.The 32 round boxing,not a clue,Brit produced ammo was boxed the same way.I have had other P.O.F. 303 ammo that came on chargers,ten rounds in a box.
Many thanks JBinILL. Not what I wanted to hear but pleased I found out prior to depending on it on the range. Sales table at the next club meeting for that box. Thanks again.

Barryeye
04-27-2013, 02:04
How many rounds does a Lewis magazine hold? I think the Bren holds 30 but don't know about the Lewis. Magazine capacity is usually
the reason for amount of rounds in a package but not always.
The Lewis mag I am told holds 47 or 97. Yes the Bren mag held 30 but my father a WWII vet tells me that they were taught to load 28 rounds only. Not

sure of the reason for this but dad felt it was to take stress off the spring and increase reliability. I've got a box of Canadian 1943 .303 tracer packed 48 to the box?

John Sukey
04-28-2013, 12:28
Which makes me wonder why there are .48 rounds in those boxes. I always have one round left over after loading the magazine

Barryeye
04-28-2013, 01:44
I guess the thinking is that X amount of loose rounds would be useful for topping up part used magazines. In the case of the Canadian tracer I doubt that anyone would load a magazine with tracer only. It is unfortunate John that as long as I live in NZ I will never get to fire a Lewis. I can get to own one but never shoot one,