PDA

View Full Version : pet loads for 25 06

C5M1
04-26-2013, 11:16
Any one have a pet load for their 25 06. Using 100 gr bullet with 52 gr of imr 4350 @ 3200 fps and can't get the thing to shoot under 2 1/2 min. Hate to go out and buy a bunch of different powder/ bullets, only to find out it doesn't work any better. Having more trouble with this one than any in the past.

Free floated and glass bedded this Marlin which took care of the wandering groups but just can't get it under 2 1/2 min. Would like to keep velocities up towards the top end.

thanks and regards, dennis

Tuna
04-26-2013, 08:29
Back off a grain or two. Your velocity may drop 50 fps but your groups just might tighten up a lot.

C5M1
04-27-2013, 05:13
Was leaning that way but don't want to lose much more velocity, wouldn't mind if it was just a paper puncher. Already a hundred fps below max. If it comes down to it thats what I'll probably do. would like a load up towards the top end that groups decent.

Thanks for the input Tuna; Any one else.

Regards, dennis

Hefights
04-27-2013, 05:30
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/35-years-loading-25-06/

Interesting article here if you have not seen it. What kind of bullets are you using? You might want to try a different bullet, load data in article was for Sierra which are of course generally pretty good shooters.

C5M1
04-27-2013, 07:02
Using the sierra 100 gr bt, also tried speer 120 grain with no better results. Good article, also trying not to burn this barrel out trying to find a decent load. Will try a 75 gr pill next with 4895. Sierra manual and old speer manual have some good velocities with 4895 which I have in abundance. If that doesn't work will try some alliant reloader 17 if I can find any. Its only a deer and lope rifle so shouldn't have to mess with anything over 100 gr bullet anyway. Might even spring for a box of factory ammo for comparison, at least have a few rounds of 25 06 brass instead of necking down 30 cal.

Thanx for the article hefights. Know a little more than before.

regards, dennis

BudT
04-27-2013, 09:18
At one time I had a 25-06 Marlin and probably just like your rifle but with a difference. I did "nothing" to the bedding or any other part of this rifle it was flat out box stock. I put a Nikon 3X9 scope and tried Winchester factory 120 grain HP ammo in it. I would shoot under 1" at 100 yards over and over again. I hunted with it that first year and killed a 3X3 mulie buck with one shot behind the shoulder at about 40 yards he ran maybe another 50 yards before he piled up and by the time I walked to him he was stone dead. The next summer I started loading for this rifle and just about everything I put through it shot very good. I tried some Nosler 100 grain partition's they did as well as the factory stuff and then I tried some of the Barns Tipped TSX. The Barns would shoot 3 shots into a single hole. After a couple of more years I sold this rifle complete with dies a "prove up" target and ammo. The report back to me from the new owner is that this rifle shoots into one hole groups.

I am supprised your rifle wont do better than you are getting. I wish I still had the data for my rifle but at any rate I did the regular thing when I worked up my loads I started low and went up using a seating depth a few thousands back from max. To be sure all rifles are different and what works well in one might not work worth a pile of bear scat in another.

Former Cav
04-29-2013, 12:49
I was reloading 117 grain hornady BTSP bullets and tried varget and SC 4831. I had better luck with the Varget, but I shot the barrel out of that rifle in about 750 rounds! The tightest group was produced with 40.7 grains of varget, the 117 grain bullet, and R/P Nickel Brass ( easier to find in the grass) and standard large rifle winchester brand primers. These would group at less then 1/2 inch from a bench with a Savage rifle and a 8-32 x 50 mm Burris BlackDiamond scope with mildot reticle. I had that rifle rebarreled in 6.5 x .284. IMHO, the 25-06 is not a "good selection" as there are NOT enough variety of bullets (projectiles) for it and the SHORT barrel life.
BTW.... I did shoot some 90 grainers through this rifle and in my LIFETIME, this is the only time I have SEEN a bullet explode in flight and leave a smoke ring behind at about 140 yards. We were amazed. I've read about it, but this is the FIRST and only time I've seen it happen.

BudT
04-29-2013, 03:02
75 grain will go puff if ya push them hard enough, some of the 60 grain slugs I tried didnt get out of the barrel in one piece, just a puff near the muzzel and no hits on the paper. Sometimes on a cold morning with just the right humidity you could see a vapor trail.

NuJudge
04-29-2013, 05:01
I found that my .25-'06 liked 4831 more than anything else, and 100 grain bullets. I was using WWII surplus 4831, which is a little slower than the current H- or IMR-4831. I would load it right up near maximum, with no issues. My observation was that 100 grain Hornadys killed better than the 120gr Nosler partitions, but that was only from shooting 4 or 5 deer with each at ranges of 100 to 200 yards broadside in the heart/lung area. With the 100 grain Hornady they were DRT, with the Partition they would run 40 to 60 yards. I suppose if I had a quartering away shot, I would want the Nosler.

The 100 grain bullets were murder on woodchucks too.

Former Cav
04-29-2013, 07:33
hee hee.... I was using this for LONG distance on prairie dogs.

Matt Anthony
04-30-2013, 03:05
I have a Rem 700 BDL, early 70's vintage totally stock from the factory with a Leupold 3X9 scope on Leupold rings and mount. Due to shoulder problems, I had a muzzle brake installed. This rifle will not shoot reloads and I gave up years ago experimenting. However, it does shoot 90 gr. Reminington Positive Expansion Point ammo. Remington #X25061. I bought 50 boxes of this ammo years ago and have 10 boxes left. I have looked at the powder and cannot be sure just what it is and I cannot duplicate the velocity no matter what powder/bullet conbinations I have tried. It shoots 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards and I was told by a gunsmith to leave it alone. And that is what I did! It's a perfect varmint rifle out to 350 yards! It also has taken 2 white tail before my shoulder problem.
Matt

JOHN COOK
04-30-2013, 03:45
FWIW, I have a 25:06 Wildcat made in 1966. Built on a GEW 98 Mauser action. Custom made stock either by Fajun or Bishop, can't remember. I was told by the gentleman who made it, to use 4831. He gave me a carboard can of the powder and I loaded it using 46 grs and have used the same volume ever since. He installed a Belvar 8 scope 2.5 x 8. In my opinion it is a tack driver.It is zeroed in to shoot one inch high @ a bulls eye. In other words I hold one inch below the bulleye at 100 yds. At 200 yds I hold dead on the bullseye. Thats good enough for me. I use 117 BT @ 120 BT. I purchaased a large quanity of bullets years ago, no worry about shortage. It is a sweet shooting rifle. Wife likes to crank a few rounds every now in then . I don't shoot it too much......

john

C5M1
05-01-2013, 06:34
Thanks for all the input guys. As soon as this latest snow melts, one foot and still coming down. I'm going to go against my life long experiences with reloading and try increasing my existing charge. If that doesn't work will try some of your loads, if I can still find the powders.

regards and thanks again for all the input. dennis