PDA

View Full Version : On guard USS Oregon

jon_norstog
04-26-2013, 07:20
Taken in 1900 on the quarterdeck of the Oregon. I can't tell if the rifle is a Lee or a Krag. The Oregon was in Puget sound when war broke out and was recalled to join Sampson's flying squadron. She made the trip around the Horn in 67 days.

but based on the year I'm thinking Lee.

Also from 1900, here is a photo of the CPOs. These men almost certainly were at the Battle of Santiago Bay when the Texas and the Oregon (among others) ran down Cervera's fleeing ships.

Schley of the Oregon asked what it meant when the Colon hauled her colors and fired a single gun: “She’s hauled down her colors and fired a lee gun.”

“What does that mean?” Schley asked.The surprised Mason replied, “Why, it means that she’s struck [surrendered].”“I’m damned glad that I didn’t have to surrender,” Schley laughed. “I wouldn’t have known how.”

USN

Bob S
04-26-2013, 08:54
Pic No. 1 was taken on the focs'le, not the Q-deck. I can't manipulate pictures here (orifice :P ) to see the rifles better, but will try later.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

JBinIll
04-26-2013, 11:28
I would suspicion that is a Lee from the way he has it on his shoulder and what appears to be a magazine box hanging down a little lower than the outline of the rifle on the bottom immediately back of his shoulder.

Dick Hosmer
04-26-2013, 02:00
I'm sure it's a Lee, note his arm (should be level at "shoulder arms") position, and the exaggerated amount of rifle overhang cantilevered past his shoulder, relative to the butt portion. Must have been extremely uncomfortable - probably posed as such only for the picture. A Krag would rest comfortably with arm level, but a Lee would not. I believe that's why the Brits carried their rifles laid over on their sides.

psteinmayer
04-26-2013, 05:39
As a former US Sailor and student of US Naval history, these pictures simply fascinate me! I especially love the manually powered anchor winch! If you ever want to see a ship of similar vintage, the USS Olympia CL-5 in Philadelphia is a wonderful tour!!! Also, just across the river in Camden NJ, is the USS New Jersey BB-62.

By the way, it's pronounced "Folks-Ole", but strangely enough, it's actually spelled Forecastle!

Rick the Librarian
04-26-2013, 06:40
If you enjoy pictures and information of that era, invest in a copy of "The American Steel Navy, by Cdr. John Alden. It is a large coffee table-sized book with hundreds of high quality prints and much information from the 1880-1910 era. Excellent book!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51regarzrML._SY300_.jpg

jon_norstog
04-26-2013, 11:28
I'll put up the source when I get back home. The original pictures are 350-500K and Jouster has cut them down to 95K or so, losing quite a bit of detail. My guess was the rifle is a Lee, based on the date. Anyway the link was sent to me by an old shipmate from the CGC Barataria. Joe from Bawston.

There was a pretty goo photo of the mess men from the USS Brooklyn taken in 1899. All of those guys would have been in the fight at Santiago.

jn

jon_norstog
04-26-2013, 11:31
PS, Steinmeyer says to see the Olympia, which is a great tour. Unfortunately she is in need of donations or she will end up being sunk for reef fish habitat.

http://spanamwar.com/olyhelp.htm

Help if you can.

jn

Kragrifle
04-27-2013, 07:28
Ah, but is it a Remington Lee, or a Lee Navy (Winchester)?

sdkrag
04-27-2013, 03:21
I thik you should spell it folks-ol, so Sven doesn"t think it's a Nowegian term. Ole!!!

psteinmayer
04-27-2013, 05:40
LOL sdkrag!

psteinmayer
04-27-2013, 05:47
PS, Steinmeyer says to see the Olympia, which is a great tour. Unfortunately she is in need of donations or she will end up being sunk for reef fish habitat.

That is really a shame... That they would remove an important piece of history and sink it because of a lack of funding! I saw it in 2009... and since the tour guide was a fellow former AS2 like me, I got the royal treatment... I got to go down into the engine spaces! It was a great tour!!!

Sadly, My old ship, the USS Ranger CV-61 was set to become a museum ship in Portland OR... and last year, the US Navy removed it from museum hold and changed her status to Available for scrap!

Paul