PDA

View Full Version : Re: Springfield 1903 NRA Presentation Rifle

The Wolf
04-26-2013, 03:01
Check this beauty out.... no serial number listed, but interesting nonetheless. Not mine. Opinions on it's authenticity or what the heck it is are welcome.

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Springfield-Armory-1903-NRA-Sporter-Presentation-Rifle-30-06-24-bbl-04-27-Dates-Star-Gauged-.cfm?gun_id=100325861

JimF
04-26-2013, 06:57
What makes that a "NRA Presentation Rifle"? . . . .

Looks to me, to be an ordinary NRA Sporter w/ Winchester scope attached! --Jim

chuckindenver
04-26-2013, 07:04
looks like a NRA sporter, with a shortened stock, and scope mounted incorrectly, looks like it may have been ordered with brite blue rather then low luster finish.
not rare, but not common.
price isnt that bad..

the_1st_sgt
04-26-2013, 02:32
The butt plate is awfully proud on the bottom of the stock. I doubt it came from the armory that way

Johnny P
04-26-2013, 02:54
Springfield Armory mounted some of the scopes incorrectly. I have an NRA Sporter that letters from SRS as "fitted with base for Winchester telescopic sight", and the receiver was not D&T'd, and not the first one I have seen in which the rear mount was on the barrel.

chuckindenver
04-26-2013, 03:18
NRA sporters were sold with a long pull, and ment to be fitted for the end user.
looks like this one was shortened.

Herschel
04-26-2013, 07:15
I called the seller about the rifle. I was told that the rifle sn is 1277660 and that the J5 marked bolt is numbered to the receiver. When I asked for documentation that this was a presentation rifle I was told that the floorplate is engraved "First Sgt H. E. Riley, DC Natl Guard, President's Match, 1927". I wrote down what I heard as I remembered it. First Sgt may be written out or abbreviated. Natl Guard may have been written out or abbreviated. It may or may not have said he was the winner. For those of you who are not high power shooters, the President's Match was, and still is a part of the annual National Rifle Matches fired at Cp. Perry, Ohio.

Another collector told me the rifle is from the Brophy collection.

Additional: Pictures in Brophy show that those gunsmiths at SA mounted other scopes incorrectly. Some of them were probably involved in incorrectly heat treating a bunch of 1903's. :)

chuckindenver
04-26-2013, 09:24
great info...iv seen one other Sporter with hi luster finish, it was sent back to SA and redone with hi luster blue and select wood, owner had paper work to prove it.
iv also seen a Navy Trophy rifle with the same finish, it had a brass plate with the info engraved on it, attached to the side of the butt stock.

Herschel
04-27-2013, 08:56
Just on the chance of finding a picture of the man who has his name engraved on the floorplate of the subject rifle.
I looked through some old American Rifleman magazines that I have. On page 37 of the October 1927 issue there is a picture of the Winner of the President's Match at the 1927 National Matches. The caption under the picture reads "Corp. R. J. Tobey, U.S.M.C., Winner, President's Match, With Prize De Luxe Springfield Sporter. Score: 200-48; 600-50; 1,000-98."

1st Sgt H. E. Riley, D. C. NG came in 7th.

Sgt Riley may have been presented the rifle but it was not for winning the President's match as I assumed after talking to the seller of the rifle.

JimF
04-27-2013, 09:35
Herschel . . . . .

Once again, you've gone "above and beyond" . . . .

I find it very interesting that you dug into the "ancient" archives of the American Rifleman to un-earth this info!!

Were you an investigative officer or reporter in your younger days?? --Jim

Johnny P
04-27-2013, 11:51
That rifle was in the Nov./Dec. 2012 Rock Island Auction catalog. It is listed by serial number, and shows the presentation plate. The presentation plate is a silver plate inletted between the pistol grip and sling swivel. It is engraved:

THE / NATIONAL GUARD TROPHY / WON BY / 1st Sgt. H. E. RILEY D.C.N.G. / PRESIDENT'S MATCH / 1927

It sold for $1725 with the buyer's premium, so someone got a bargain.

The Wolf
04-27-2013, 10:43
Wow! Some amazing information has been dug up my Herschel and Johnny P about this rifle! Super job, guys. And the original purchase price of $1725 is an even more amazing feat! The asking price of 3K and some change has still gotta be a steal, given all of this information. Wish I had deep pockets.

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

Johnny P
04-28-2013, 10:08
I guess it is all in the description, but this rifle was four lots after the NRA Sporter above.

Exceptional 841st Produced Early Production U.S. World War II Remington Model 03A3 Rifle

The rifles serial number? 4000841 with a 9-43 barrel. It sold for $1840.

Rick the Librarian
04-28-2013, 01:46
I looked at the RIA auction results and final prices were all over the map. Saw a worn but decent NRA Sales rifle - $690!