PDA

View Full Version : German Sport Guns .22LR Stg-44

Griff Murphey
04-25-2013, 04:15
My new Vepon! Ok basically it is more of a model gun capable of shooting than it is a useful firearm. In this corner, weighing in at over 10 pounds, it's the new heavyweight champion of the world's .22 LR "assault" rifle replicas. The weight is authentic, which is nice. A functioning tangent sight, fully adjustable, provision for an M-98K sling, operating ejection port cover, dummy charging rod, and nice wood complete the illusion. The rifle comes with one 25 round composite magazine. The left side is quite convincing but the right side of the mag has a slot in it that a follower lever tracks in. The plus side is that this feature makes it easy to load.

Incidentally to hit at 50 yards, point of aim, point of impact, my rifle's rear sight was jacked up to one yomp below the "10" mark, so it looks like it is ready to shoot 500 meters. The more I shot it the more the groups seemed to tighten up.

The post front is a needle point as on a 98k. Accuracy was OK, about inch and a half off the bench at 50 yards with Federal semi auto match. My club restricts semiautos to loading 5 rds, even .22's, so I was not able to do much rapid fire, but there were no stoppages after about 75 rounds loaded 5 rounds at a time. I think a little silver rub'n buff on the sharp line angles of the plastic mag would make it more metal looking and convincing.

The trigger is adjustable and I plan to play with that. The literature that comes with it indicates that a 10 round mg is available. This would be good for bench rest, as the standard mag is so long there is just NO WAY to shoot it unless you let the mag hang down behind the bench.

It comes in a yee-hah wooden crate with burned-on Wehrmacht "dirty bird' sans "Schwarstika" as Trevor Howard would say. Kind of a P.I.T.A. to get out of that thing. when you lift it out the buttstock will not be installed, and be advised, the recoil springs are going to start popping out of the rear end. All in all, a fun addition to the military gun collector's armamentarium, a very practical alternative to trying to buy a real one at about 26k or even the new 8mm Kurz replica at ~5k(?)... but not nearly as useful as a good Ruger 10-22! Buy it for fun and you will enjoy it; cost is about $570, retail.

Emri
04-26-2013, 05:56
I just recently saw that model in a magazine and knew nothing about it. Thanks for the report. Now when I am asked, I might remember that a guy in TX likes his !!

joem
04-26-2013, 09:56
A while back I ordered a GSG 5. After waiting 13 months and no rifle I cancelled the order. I doubt I'll ever order anything form them again at any price.

Griff Murphey
04-26-2013, 10:47
My FFL got it from his distributor in 5 days, not from GSG direct.

Embalmer
04-26-2013, 05:47
Got one on layaway. Will look good with other wwii weapons while on display

556guy
04-27-2013, 10:36
The literature that comes with it indicates that a 10 round mg is available. This would be good for bench rest, as the standard mag is so long there is just NO WAY to shoot it unless you let the mag hang down behind the bench.

The 10 rnd mag is the same length as the 25 round. It has a block installed to limit the capacity.

Griff Murphey
04-28-2013, 07:07
Ok well I guess I will not be buying one of ThOSE. Good info.
Thanks!

Jim in Salt Lake
04-29-2013, 01:10
I have a GSG 1911, love it. Always works, accurate. Except for the recoil, it feels like a .45.

Griff Murphey
04-29-2013, 03:50
That actually sounds like a selling point, if you are using it as a trainer to help your .45 shooting.

Jim in Salt Lake
04-30-2013, 08:49
I won the pistol at an FNRA dinner and I have a history of never winning anything. After the nice surprise, we shot it the next day and just had a ball with it. It shoots everything, high velocity, standard velocity, hollowpoints, any brand. A buddy of mine has a Sig Mosquito and it's the opposite, very picky on ammo. A good gun in these times when you have to shoot whatever ammo you can find. I would like to try an Stg-44 like you got, they just look so cool and it appears GSG really tried to make it as true a replica as they could. $600 sure beats the $27K quoted above for an original. And, in more normal times, you can actually afford to shoot it!

Griff Murphey
06-04-2013, 04:30
By the way, IMA (International Military Antiques) has leather MP-44 slings for $19.95. Plus there is a discount coupon of $2 off on any repro item, pretty good deal. I was trying to find a 98K sling but this should be what I need.

Also, there is an AMERICAN RIFLEMAN Mobile review of the gun and a comment by Jim Rempel. He says he cured the shooting low problem by disassembling the rear sight and adding three SAE #6 flat washers to the screw pylons. I have not tried this but it sounds better than filing down the front sight which was what I had planned.

The tangent comes off exactly like an AK. Push down on the front, pull out to the rear, lift out the spring, then remove the two Phillips head screws. Shim with three washers on the front and two or three in back. Fire for effect, then adjust.

madsenshooter
06-08-2013, 04:43
A little bit of silver Rub 'n Buff (sold at craft stores) was used to give a subtle "old gun" look. I believe this will wipe off with Hoppes or Goo Gone but I have not verified that yet. The Rub 'n Buff on the plastic magazine, which is textured, may not be so easy to remove. Squeeze out about 1/4 " of it and wipe it on slick cardboard with a latex or nitrile glove. Carefully rub on sharp line angles where wear might be found. If you can find it, Pewter Rub 'n Buff is a bit more subtle, and easy to use. -Griff

Art
06-08-2013, 07:06
My local pawn shop/gun store got in one of these. Man it is a chunk!! You won't need a workout if you carry this critter around for a while. It looked very well done though. I did a doubletake when I first saw it. For the military enthusiast who has everything.

Handsome Devil
06-16-2013, 09:16
+1 on the GSG 1911. It shoots all ammo and is good practice. Just a blast to shoot. Don't know why I do not shoot it daily. Kind of forget about it I guess.

From what I saw of the Stg-44 it was very well made and could see why many would like to have one. That is a very cool rifle. Not planning on one for myself, but would love to try one for grins. Cheers, John.

Embalmer
06-17-2013, 06:00
Great rifle to have for those if us that can't afford an original.

Accurate as heck too. Even wifey loves it

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff186/maninblue1861/IMAG0776_zps19a73f5c.jpg

BruceHMX
07-06-2013, 07:50
Walked into the local dealer yesterday. Had one for $599. My son loved it. Maybe for Christmas not sure. That's a lot of money for a 22. Extra mags were $59 each.

BruceHMX
07-11-2013, 08:09
Ok. I found a shop in Va Beach, VA that is selling these new in wood box for $419.00 out the door. I drove there today. Got one. He has 3 left. I bought his last extra mag for $49. They are pumping these out just to make way for inventory. He will ship to an FFL. Call Shaun at 757 427 2627. Really nice guy. Also if you are looking for the new Remington 1911's they are pumping them out below cost.

Griff Murphey
07-17-2013, 08:26
Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth, Texas, has a large quantity of mags in stock, $49.95 ea.

Griff Murphey
08-19-2013, 11:33
Just had my first stoppages at 600 plus rounds with the only care being wiping out everything I could get to from
The ejection port. The bolt was as expected quite dirty and everything smoothed up immediately after cleanup. I think this is very good performance from a semiauto .22.