PDA

View Full Version : some pics at Cody

chuckindenver
04-25-2013, 02:22
years ago, i did the Cody gunshow, and took time in the evenings to tour the museum
ill post some of the pics..

Tom
04-26-2013, 11:56
very nice pictures. Can't believe all those nice rifles will never be fired again.

Fred
04-27-2013, 07:42
Those look like prototypes of the proposed .303 British rifle that Springfield Armory was going to produce for the British before we entered WWII. Wow! Great pictures. Thanks for sharing those!

chuckindenver
04-28-2013, 06:28
have more, just got busy..sorry

jgaynor
04-29-2013, 06:57
Those look like prototypes of the proposed .303 British rifle that Springfield Armory was going to produce for the British before we entered WWII. Wow! Great pictures. Thanks for sharing those!

Thanks to Chuck for posting these the museum would definitely be worth the trip!

I think that Remington was slated to produce the British "Springfield" but we became involved in the war and needed the production capacity for our own requirements so Remington made 03's, 03-A3's and A4's instead.

Regards,
Jim

Jim in Salt Lake
04-29-2013, 01:19
I've been through the Cody museum three times over 8 years. They have SO much stuff that each trip feels like the first time there. Each trip, I spent a whole day there. Even then, I still felt I was rushing at times. Any trip to Yellowstone ought to include a museum visit.

Fred
04-30-2013, 01:52
Thanks to Chuck for posting these the museum would definitely be worth the trip!

I think that Remington was slated to produce the British "Springfield" but we became involved in the war and needed the production capacity for our own requirements so Remington made 03's, 03-A3's and A4's instead.

Regards,

Jim

Yes, of course, Remington. Thanks!

Rick the Librarian
04-30-2013, 02:45

Regards,
Jim

Not exactly (and my friend John Beard can correct me) -- the British Springfield was more of a design concept than a serious proposal. As I recall, Remington told the British it would take as long as two years to start producing them, so the British agreed to have the rifles produced as standard M1903s. The U.S. took over the program in mid-1941 before any actual rifle were produced. The British and New Zealanders did get a large proportion of the early Remington M1903s, as most of you know.

chuckindenver
04-30-2013, 08:56
they have 3 on display. as you can see, they have no markings, and are in the white..i had a hard time taking these pics...i can tell you that the one with the bolt open has been shot...and not cleaned.
many one off Remington weapons...ill see if i can post some of the other pics i have, i was slow when i scaned those,..then blew up bust with work all the sudden..

RCS
05-01-2013, 04:56
Springfield sent two gas trap M1 rifles to Winchester for study and one was s/n 15070 - it should still be at Cody