PDA

View Full Version : Need help. What am I looking at...IBM w/ Ser.# deeply and sharply cut into stock...

Pancho
04-22-2013, 11:02
Need help. What am I looking at...IBM w/ Ser.# deeply and sharply cut into stock...

I collect WW2 pistols, but don't own any WW2 rifles, and don't have any collector knowledge or books about them at all.

Stopped at a pawn shop today-took a break from work. Pawn shop has typical "guns" sign, and have driven by this place about 200 times, always telling myself that I should stop. Never did, until today (Mon 4/23).

Looked at an M1 Carbine, IBM, Ser#3883132, was rough, but didn't seem to have been abused, no rust, no pits. What caught my eye was that the shoulder stock had the same serial number cut deeply and sharply cut into it, numbers were about 5/8" tall, and also had some numbers and an "X" painted onto the butt plate . The gun did not have any significant bluing, had browned. It looked to be all there, except the rear sight had been drifted clean out, but was taped to the trigger guard in a small plastic bag.
They wanted $800 for the piece.

Can someone give me any collector info on this weapon, as to year of manufacture, meaning or significance of the Ser# on the stock, what marks etc. should I be looking for, and a ballpark figure as to value.

If necessary, I could go back and try to get some photos,
but would appreciate some feedback first.

Thanks

Tuna
04-23-2013, 06:53
What your looking at is an import most likely from Israel. These carbines while having finish wear are in good over all shape. All have been rebuilt and updated by the US before being sold to Israel and will have the adjustable rear sight and the bayonet lug type barrel band on them. To me $800 is a bit high for an import carbine and I would say offer them $650 and you can go up from there to I would say no more then $700. Play up the worn finish and the fact that it's an import to help bring down the price. Good luck.

BigMo
04-23-2013, 09:22
+1 to Tuna.......... And the rear sight being #$%^ up...........

citizenkane
04-28-2013, 05:37
Yep sounds like an Israeli import. Did it have any other unique markings? Some came from Norway and have K.art marking in front of the rear sight. Some also have some Israeli markings behind the rear sight. I've been looking for a nice one myself buy I agree it sounds a bit high.