PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Colt Manufactured 1914, help to see if all original

matteomg413
04-20-2013, 12:21
Hi all,

I am new to this site, I want to finally purchase my frst Colt 1911 pre-war. I have made a lot of research and learned that I would get the best answers on this forum:icon_wink:
The Colt is built in 1914, asking price is $2700, from what I can see the magazine is not original (should have the loop) and the hammer seems to be a long one but should have a short one for that date of manufacture, am I right?
Seems to have all the right markings on barrel and frame. Can you guys tell me if you see anything else that seems wrong and if the price is right knowing that the hammer and mag are not original? comes with a vintage US army leather holster.
thank you for your help!!

matteomg413
04-20-2013, 12:22
Serial Number is 84806

blocker
04-20-2013, 03:23
Johnny P is one of the main men here and i'm sure he will give you an honest, expert opinion.

Duane Hansen
04-20-2013, 05:01
Looks like your Colt 1911 was shipped on May 23, 1914 in a 900 pistol shipment to the Quartermaster General of Mass., South Framingham, Mass.

I think that the pistol does look pretty good from what we can see. The barrel looks like it has an original type Horizontal HP marking on it, which is right for the pistol.

The hammer that you have looks like the much later long, rounded edge variety instead of the short version like you mentioned.

A correct two toned mag with lanyard loop is not too difficult to come by.

Does it still have the United States Property markings on it? I can't tell from the pictures about the correctness of the slide stop either. It is also very difficult to tell if it has original finish or whether it's been touched up or dedone in any way.

cricket
04-20-2013, 07:59
Here is the link to it for more info, thanks for all the details!!
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=337566902

Duane Hansen
04-20-2013, 08:31
By the looks of the pistol in the additional pictures on Gunbroker it looks to me as though the frame may have been either refinished or possible touched up. It looks like some of the corners may be a bit rounded. It also looks like the frame and slide finishes don't match up very well.

I think that the price is a bit high, in my opinion.