PDA

View Full Version : interesting Rock Island bits

chuckindenver
04-18-2013, 06:02
milled guard, and an ejector...

Emri
04-19-2013, 07:31
If I remember it correctly the RIA parts that are marked that way were from the WWI time period when RIA started up production again. I have some rear sights and parts marked with the "bomb" and numbers.

chuckindenver
04-19-2013, 10:39
i have and obsevered marked parts as follows.
bolt,
safety,
safety sleeve.
cocking rod.
extractor.
ejector.
sear.
follower.
floorplate.
trigger guard.
floorplate latch.
rear sight base.
rear sight.
buttplate.
stock.
handguard.
front sight.

ClaudeH
04-19-2013, 06:44
Is the "bomb" exclusively a RIA marking when used on those small parts?

chuckindenver
04-19-2013, 08:10
bomb and a number usually..
Bomb on a stock tip and heal is Remington

Mike D
04-29-2013, 04:33
i have and obsevered marked parts as follows.
bolt,
safety,
safety sleeve.
cocking rod.
extractor.
ejector.
sear.
follower.
floorplate.
trigger guard.
floorplate latch.
rear sight base.
rear sight.
buttplate.
stock.
handguard.
front sight.

What parts of the front sight? I noticed this one marked on the bottom of the "front sight stud". I wonder if the rifle was rebuilt at RIA at about the time of the new barrel date, and given a new front sight from current supply? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=337304056

Mike

chuckindenver
04-30-2013, 07:01
nice,,first one of those iv seen...unsure of its history, RIA part for sure.
iv seen the upper base, and blade bomb marked, but not the base..usually the base was on the barrel when new, im thinking the original was damaged.

Emri
04-30-2013, 07:14
I wonder if the rifle was rebuilt at RIA at about the time of the new barrel date, and given a new front sight from current supply?

Mike

Probably so. RIA was involved in a big re-build program in 1919 after the war. I have one that was done at that time. It was heavily buffed like the auction rifle, the lettering on the receiver is thin like the auction rifle. Mine was blued though and not parkerized like the auction rifle.

Emri
04-30-2013, 08:37
Thanks for pointing out the sight marking. I just happened to have my 1919RIA re-build here and took a look at it. It has the same mark as the auction rifle. Here are a few quickly generated pics.

Mike D
04-30-2013, 12:39
Thanks for the info guys! That's another Avis barrel with a RIA sight installed. Did Avis supply all their barrels WITHOUT front sight studs?

Mike