PDA

View Full Version : M1903A4 Questions for Purchase

Mudd.Creek
04-16-2013, 07:13
Gentlemen- I'm in the process of doing a little research for a post deployment purchase....have wanted an A4 for about 15 years now, more or less since about the time the 1903 bug bit me, and I think I should have sufficient $$$ available by time I get home from Afghanistan later this year. I'd appreciate any specific references for this rifle that would give me a decent heads up as far as what to look for in the details when making a purchase. I've got a decent working knowledge of 03s and 03A3s, but I'm admittedly short when it comes to background on A4s.

Also, I've been looking at a few different rifles online and see prices ranging from about $3000up to about $4500. One that I'm curious about is up on Gunbroker now, listed as a rebuild- wearing a Lyman Alaskan scope:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=337117306

I know the scope isn't correct, but all else being equal, I'd appreciate some feedback on it if anyone has time, given that the photos are pretty decent, not a bad subject to learn a few things from. Also- what would the value of the scope tend to run? Just curious, appreciate the insight!

1mark
04-16-2013, 08:07
For the price of the one you reference I would want the correct scope (M73B1, M82, M84). I think the barrel is a replacement.

Randy A
04-16-2013, 08:25
It's first run A4, it would have originally had a Weaver M73B1, the barrel has been replaced and it has a Smith Corona trigger guard on it. This rifle has been messed with. As far as the scope, I'd ask Jgaynor, some Lyman Alaskan scopes were used without the M81 or m82 markings and it is a low number scope with the numbered parts. There is a possibility it could be ok, but would have been used quite a bit later and as a replacement.

jgaynor
04-17-2013, 06:36
It appears to be a rebuild (barrel replaced) which has also been messed with by a subsequent civilian purchaser. i have two data base entries on this serial number. The first is a Rock Island Auction listing (undated). At that time the rifle had a scant stock and no scope.
This past February the current owner listed it on GunBroker but it was equipped with a "C" Stock and the cobbled up "Lyman Alaskan". The Alaskan appears to have an M82 eyepiece (GI drawing number). It is possible thatthis is one of the post -WW2 Lyman Alaskans assembled with some surplus GI Parts or perhaps it is a civilian assembly. The external nut and set screw holding the sunshade is a one of a kind, home brew.

The stock has been heavily sanded and refinished.

A couple of points to keep in mind:

1. From where I sit most A4's in civilian hands have some level of rebuild. Everything from a refinish, restock to a re-barrel or all of the above. Finding a truly original A4, with the correct scope in excellent + condition will be difficult and in the end expensive (figure at least twice the asking price of the current auction).

2. Stripped barreled A4 Receivers have been going on the CMP auction for an average price of around $1700.~. Some folks like to say CMP auction prices don't represent the real world. I say in the last few years there have been around 20 or 30 of these auctions all with multiple bidders. Thats the definition of a market. So $2500. or so for a complete rifle is not all that far off the mark warts and all. On the other hand you have to be satisfied other wise every time you look at it it will just piss you off. If you can afford another $500. - $1000. I would keep looking.

Regards,

Jim

Kurt
04-17-2013, 10:20
Jim, Well said.

As you know, I have put together an A4 using one of the cmp receivers. It was a long process but I stayed within my budget. I did make some compromises, but I did that from the start so it was part of the overall plan. The compromises were in the optics. I want to shoot mine, not worry about destroying a expensive scope that could let loose at anytime. It's certainly not an cheap and easy route to go, but in the end I know what it is and will never be "pissed off". :)

Doug Douglass
04-18-2013, 05:49
A4's have been rebuilt and re-issued with Lyman Alaskan and M84 scopes and mixed parts into the 60's. But, this one does not thrill me, I would pass.

Johnny in Texas
04-18-2013, 11:53
If you can swing it always go with the original finish unmolested correct M73B1 scoped A4's. Avoid rifles that "collector's" have messed with! Everyone here has given you great advice. Good luck!

Mudd.Creek
04-22-2013, 11:37
I appreciate all of the great feedback guys, thank you for taking the time to reply! :)