PDA

View Full Version : Relic US M1905 bayonet from Corregidor Island

Fred
04-16-2013, 06:59
Well, I just had to put this link up for Rick. It's on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Relic-US-M1905-bayonet-dug-at-Corregidor-Island-rusty-Springfield-Garand-bayonet-/290899948824

Rick the Librarian
04-17-2013, 06:46
Very tempting, that's for sure!

Fred
04-17-2013, 07:41
Well, unless one lives on Corregidor, then one has to get what's available here. I still think that there're lots of rifles and such still available for collections that're pretty well rusted out. However, the authorities won't allow them to be exported without a lot of hassle I'm sure. Maybe some families there have working rifles that the families have taken care of over the years and which were never turned in. I'll bet if I lived there for awhile, I'd ferrit some out. It's sort of like while in Central America, it you've been there for a few weeks, the Indians will get to trust you and will start to talk to you about Mayan artifacts that are sometimes found in the fields by farmers. Upon showing some interest, you'll discover that they have something themselves for sale or trade. Quite often some spectacular things. It's a black market. Illegal but it's there.

kb466
04-19-2013, 08:38
Interesting relic. My father was involved in the battle to retake Corregidor in early 1945 as a signal corps captain commanding a combat film unit. The only relic he brought back from Corregidor was a Japanese special naval landing forces cap he found in a pillbox on a Japanese body. I still have that cap.

Fred
04-20-2013, 10:58
Rick, did you make an offer for the bayonet and get it?

wsfbernie
04-20-2013, 01:45
In 1985 I was on C with the AF. Still have M1905 bayo blade snapped off about 1/4 up. Top of scabbard is still frozen to blade hilt,
but I have never taken it off. Tagged the unit and have it in my collection. Also, several pieces of "demonstrative" shrapnel I picked
up. I will never forget the strange feelings I felt seeing the artillery barrels lying on the forest ground waiting to be installed into the
disappearing cannons. They were still ready.

Rick the Librarian
04-21-2013, 05:51
No, have a couple of other irons in the fire and had to pass.