PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 1897 Winchester shotgun

Inferno Kid
04-16-2013, 02:45
Bought this 1897 Winchester shotgun and told it was riot shotgun. It is the take down model and the serial numbers match the barrel and receiver. Serial number 941,XXX makes it about1942. There is a US stamp and flaming bomb on the left lower side of receiver and a flaming bomb on the top of the barrel. The butt stock has a milled place where the sling mount would have been mounted but is missing. The barrel has the 2 grooves for a trench gun bayonet mount. Someone has installed a Weaver external choke system to the barrel. Still has the Winchester butt plate but is well worn. Need to know if it's a trench gun or riot.

scosgt
04-16-2013, 05:17
It is almost certainly an original trench gun. The buttstock is wrong, it is off a WWI era gun because it has the high thin comb. A 1941-42 gun would have the later style stock with the thicker wrist and fluted comb.
The serial is way too late for a riot gun, they were made at the beginning of production.
The third groove is under the barrel band. The trench style mag cap is intact.
It is not uncommon to see a WWII gun that has been re-stocked, could have even been done by ordinance. It would be very worthwhile to have the choke removed and install a quality repro bayonet lug (good luck finding an original). If the space for the stock sling swivel is not filled in, the part is easy to find.
Or you could find a WWII trench stock - they do turn up, and make some money selling the WWI stock.

Inferno Kid
04-16-2013, 09:41
Would it be worth making it back into a trench gun or just leaving it like it is? I don't want to hurt the value of the gun by messing with it? If I could find original parts would it be worth it over the reproductions parts? And the space for the stock sling is not filled in. I bought it for cowboy action shooting because of the short barrel and wouldn't have to cut a barrel down and I don't want a cheap China gun. Thanks for the help!!!

scosgt
04-16-2013, 09:58
Original parts are always better. Yes, it appears in pretty good shape so it would pay to restore.
You need to get the choke off the barrel and install an adapter. It will cover up any issues with the barrel.
You will never find an original marked WWII stock in mint condition for a price you would be willing to pay, so I would just keep the stock. The swivel mount should be easy to find.It is NOT the same as the one one on the Springfield, the size is different. But the same swivel was used on a few Winchesters over the years, so they are out there.
You may wait a long time to find an original adapter, but SARCO has a pretty nice repro for $100
You can make that gun back into a nice trench, do not use it for cowboy action shooting, it is too valuable for that.

Inferno Kid
04-20-2013, 04:55
What heat shield will go with the shotgun, 4 or 6 row?

scosgt
04-21-2013, 08:26
Four, but whatever you can find.