PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with 22 lr ammo?

Hecklerusp45
04-16-2013, 09:31
I know that ammo is in short supply right now, but in my area it seems that 22 lr just does not exist. I know that 9mm, 223, are also in short supply, but there is a little in the stores every now and again. I had a friend tell me that he had seen some of the 500 round boxes that typically sell for $17-20 going for $70 and up. Made me think, should I take some part of the 10,000 rounds in the basement and put it up on Gunjoker? The real unknown is when and for how much would I be able to replace them? Any thoughts?

PhillipM
04-16-2013, 12:19
A friend of mine spoke with the counter guy at WalMart. What happens is there are a few people that show up very early in the morning and wait for it to hit the shelf, then buy all they can, currently a 3 box limit.

I suspect the same thing is happening elsewhere.

SMOKEY
04-16-2013, 04:36
Havent seen .22 or any ammo in this area in ages. Conspiracy theory time

joem
04-18-2013, 08:23
Sure you could sell it, but what would it cost to replace it? The replacement could cost more that you sold it for.

Tuna
04-18-2013, 11:22
The 22LR is the most used cartridge in the world let alone the US. Just about every gun guy has at least one or more of them. They are the cheapest to shoot so it is always in demand. But people panicked on the ammo just as they did with any round that is FMJ. As the ammo companies end their contracts that are now being filled the supply will start to increase and when it is once again at pre O'Bama levels the prices will be stable and will return to close to what they were before the crazy buying took place.

joem
04-19-2013, 04:40
Hope your right Tuna.

Aligater
04-20-2013, 08:04
Received a note from the CMP saying my order for 5000 rounds of Aguila was being processed and gave me an order number..........Does that mean my ammo is on the way, or am I dreaming.....thanks,
Ali

NuJudge
04-20-2013, 11:14
You are dreaming. They are out of .22LR, and Orest says they'll receive a shipment in 2-5 months. From a 03/15/2013 posting by Orest:
The CMP does not have any caliber .223, .22LR, or .30 carbine ammo for sale at either store. We are sold out and expect to receive shipments of these calibers in 3-6 months. We continue to accept orders for these calibers and will fill those orders when we receive the replenishment shipments from the manufacturers. We do have caliber .30-06 ammo at both stores, but a 10 can purchase limit per year per customer applies. We also still have the Atomic caliber .308, but expect to run out in the next 60 days.

jimmyzwei
04-20-2013, 05:06
Received a note from the CMP saying my order for 5000 rounds of Aguila was being processed and gave me an order number..........Does that mean my ammo is on the way, or am I dreaming.....thanks,
Ali

Actually the word is they just recieved 200 cases of standard velocity - and just started shipping it

Fred
04-25-2013, 06:33
Man, I'm glad that I bought a bunch of rounds from Sportsmans Guide many, many years ago for $87.00. I knew I'd never use it all and as a matter of fact, have only fired about 50 rounds. I just had a feeling that I'd better get it while the getting was good at that low price.

Johnny in Texas
04-25-2013, 03:58
That is a great deal but only 50 rounds in a couple years that doesn't sound like much fun. At that rate they will bury it with you.

Fred
04-25-2013, 06:57
Yea, you're right about that. I'm just cautious about shooting around the ranch with all the horses, dogs, cats, Peacocks and Ginney's. Frightens them to no end. I could go down to the neighbors 100 yard bench rest, but actually, I've lost my interest in shooting since I haven't done any in many years.

noslack327
04-26-2013, 04:39
Fred the DOHS thanks you for your round counts.

Fred
04-27-2013, 08:01
Now I'm gonna be looking over my shoulder... I think the wife and I should just pitch it since we won't be using it anymore. Nothing to waste if we can't use it.

bluedsteelnwood
06-05-2013, 07:26
To the readers who think that when the Government's "orders" are filled we will see ammo again, I think it is real strange that the rounds such as 25/20, 7.5/55 30/30 etc. are not available at all also. What is more puzzling is the lack of media coverage about the situation. It reminds me of the crazy ideas that liberals had that if you taxed ammo enough it would stop people from buying guns. If golf balls all of a sudden became not available because of so called panic buying you would have it on the front page of the N.Y. Times. I am not paranoid but am beginning to think what if the government i.e. the executive branch had hatched a plot to disarm the people.

ebeeby
06-06-2013, 08:41
"To the readers who think that when the Government's "orders" are filled we will see ammo again, I think it is real strange that the rounds such as 25/20, 7.5/55 30/30 etc. are not available at all also."

Privi has stopped production of everything except the "hot" cartridges. I'm guessin they're not the only ones....

joem
06-06-2013, 02:57
Talked to a fellow shooter at the range today, $70.00 for a brick, OUCH.

Art
06-09-2013, 07:51
The .22 ammo situation really is crazy. I have found one, and only one, box at Academy in the past several months and picked it up for $3.50. The other popular ammo has started to make a comeback and while it is still rationed 9mm, .40 Cal., .45 ACP, .223/5.56mm NATO and 7.62x39mm are becoming available at reasonable prices where I live if you shop a bit. Any rimfire is a different story. I found some .22 Mag. at a little gunstore that generally has reasonable prices and they wanted $20.00 for 50 rounds of CCI 40gr h.p. :eek:. Last week I bought 50 rounds of Com Bloc 9mm for $12.00 and a couple of weeks before that a box of Winchester military ball which is very high quality stuff for $17.00.

People must be still adding to their .22 rimfire hoards, only thing I can figure.

BudT
06-09-2013, 09:26
Saw a "stack" of cases yesterday in a Nevada store for sale with no takers. Only 70 dollars per brick of 500 of the Remington .22LR standard velocity, what a great deal huh. Piles of other ammo, none of it was "flying" out the door way to rich for me and it would seem to others walking by. Lookie but no buy. Anyone that wants to pay that much for ammo....have at it but not me. I did buy 3 bulk boxes of 22lr in a Wally World store in California for "retail" and later that week a box of 9mm again for retail. Coould have bought more of the 9mm but at the time didnt know about friends that couldnt find any, I'll find them some ammo to take on the next trip for them.

When I was waiting to buy some in a W. Mart I was talking to a guy when I said out loud enough for the others to hear that the @$$h0les buying this stuff up and putting it on line auctions were nothing but a bunch of fudGepacking low life that will get what they deserve when this turns around all but the one guy looked away and real sheepish, ya they know who they are and this WILL change.......you can take it to the bank. Oh ya one of the 3 boxes of 22 ammo I bought I sold to a retired friend who couldnt get any from the stores there so Brian got his 22 shells to clean out the dam ground squirel infestation around his home and I will probably go pig hunting with him on the next trip. I'll see if I can find a few more boxes for others and Brian, they need them they dont just want them to "play" with like some of the others.

Johnny in Texas
06-10-2013, 07:58
A local indoor range does not sell there .22 LR as they are getting 6.95 per box for use in there rental pistols and rifles. They cannot get enough to sell it and keep there rental guns loaded.

Johnny P
06-12-2013, 10:12
Talked to someone that went to the Dallas gun show, and when he spotted .22 LR for $50 a brick he bought four bricks. Didn't go very far down the aisle and found it for $37.50 a brick.