PDA

View Full Version : Cadet Trigger Assemblies

Luger1914
04-15-2013, 02:22
Looking at what is a very nice Cadet rifle in the mid 500,000 serial range. Has all correct parts with excellent finish and nice case colors. Excellent stock with 1893 dated cartouche. The question is with the trigger guard. It has the two-piece guard and plate with the rear sling swivel attached with a screw. Not the one-piece like the rod bayonet rifle. Finish is excellent and matches rest of rifle. Could it be original to this cadet or has it been switched? Also has front swivels and nice period sling. Thanks.

Dick Hosmer
04-15-2013, 04:51
All cadet rifles prior to the M1884 "type 2" originally utilized the two-piece guard, since, as issued new they did not normally have swivels, and the one-piece guard was only made "with". Most of the very late cadets, such as you describe, seem to have swivels, and thus could, theoretically use either style guard. FWIW, my late cadet - in the 565xxx range, has the one piece guard, and swivels.

Interestingly, the Armory-converted cadets of 1895 (and later) are almost always seen without swivels - so - it certainly can be confusing, but I would say that the one you are looking at could be OK. I'd suspect that, when nearing end of new production, it was as much a case of what was available as anything else, even though the one-piece guard was put into production because supplies of two-piece (left-over from the CW muskets) were getting low.

Luger1914
04-15-2013, 06:14
Thanks Dick. You are right, the more I learn about trapdoors, the more I realize I don't know. It does get confusing at times. I really appreciate your knowledge and your sharing of same.