PDA

View Full Version : 4 Digit SA assembly

wsfbernie
04-15-2013, 02:21
:icon_scratch:I finally obtained a copy of the Ferris and Beard book. I have a four digit receiver, 2xxx,
with what I surmise is a type 3 barrel. The barrel is SA 05, but it has a capital "A" stamped
below the other digits. The fixed sight base is the later full type and the front sight appears
to be like any other later type. WWI rework of an earlier assembly???

RCS
04-15-2013, 05:28
I have some four digit rifles too, two Rock Islands and one Springfield. the SA also had a SA 05 A marked barrel with the later solid rear sight base. The bore was really bad, and I installed a WW1 barrel. I have seen SA 05 dated barrels with the open bottom rear sight base at gun shows years ago but never bought any. I
would think that the new solid rear sight base was installed on the 1905 barrel when rebuilt to 30-06. Any photos of your rifle ?

Rick the Librarian
04-15-2013, 09:07
The rifle in question is indeed reworked. The "A" meant that the barrel was deemed goo enough that it didn't have to be replaced during overhaul.

RCS
04-15-2013, 10:20
Do you think the rear sight base was replaced at that time ?

John Beard
04-15-2013, 10:37
:icon_scratch:I finally obtained a copy of the Ferris and Beard book. I have a four digit receiver, 2xxx,
with what I surmise is a type 3 barrel. The barrel is SA 05, but it has a capital "A" stamped
below the other digits. The fixed sight base is the later full type and the front sight appears
to be like any other later type. WWI rework of an earlier assembly???

The capital "A" and the later full-type fixed sight base are probably the result of an earlier assembly.

J.B.