PDA

View Full Version : primer cup question

broom jockey
04-14-2013, 07:33
I recently bought some 45acp fired cases at gun shop. When I resized/deprimed them, the decap pin punched thru several opening the cap like a tin can. Cases were of mixed brands so I assume they were reloaded. I would like to know of anyone with similar experience. I don't wanr to be buying those primers.

Parashooter
04-14-2013, 09:37
Usually happens to cases sitting around long enough to develop a bit of corrosion on cup and pocket. The added friction prevents spent primers from sliding out smoothly. Sometimes it's the result of a rough or sharp decapping pin.

fguffey
04-16-2013, 09:05
Cases with different head stamps can have different primers, some with Boxer primers, others with Berdan primers, expect the Berdan primed cases to cause problems, Berdan primers have different flash holes, some times 2 holes others can have 3. Then there is the latest fad, cleaning cases, in the old days I used vinegar and nothing for 15 minutes maximum for the life of the case, after cleaning in vinegar I rinsed the cases on water at least twice..

After cleaning in vinegar I did not have years to remove the primers. there is something about two unlike metals, when introduced to a corrosives liquid that starts electrolysis, I would separate the cases by head stamp then start de-priming. The ruptured cup can be removed, I have used military crimp removal tools and premier pocket unfirming tools. After that it becomes a time effect thing against cost, I would accept the lost of a few cases.

I would suggest you list the head stamps.

F. Guffey

joem
04-25-2013, 11:27
Once i a while I run into that problem. Check that the decap pin is nicely rounder and not pointy. Next, slowly raise the ram and when it hits the flash hole, lightly raise and lower the ram a few times bumping the primer out of the pocket. Works almost every time.

dogtag
04-25-2013, 05:07
Could it be that they were almost pierced by the firing pin of
whatever handgun that was used ?
This would leave metal paper thin and easily pierced by your die.

Just a thought.

jimb
05-02-2013, 04:06
Don't throw out the cases. Find a small wood or machine screw slightly larger than the hole. grind off the point then use it to back out the primer.