PDA

View Full Version : Wolf primers versus Oil

Matt Anthony
04-13-2013, 03:33
People have mixed feelings over Wolf and Tula primers. I have friends in competition, target shooting and hunting that either love them or hate them, some will use them the others say "no way"! I look at each individual and try to understand their position and think I have found the problem with these "no ways"!

Cleanliness in reloading is essential to consistant firing cartridges. The ones that have complained about the Wolf and Tula have horrible habits about keeping their bench clean, washing hands before priming, keeping tools in their proper place so they cannot become contaminated, chemicals stored on their reloading bench and the atmosphere in their reloading area.

Oil is a primer killer, either excessive human body oil, firearm lubricating oil, penetrating oil and engine and trans. oil all kill primers. I don't even trust any brand sizing lube, regardless of their claims. Clean cartridges and a clean work enviroment is the only way to insure zero contamination of your reloads. Primer storage is extremely important and moisture is a primer killer over time. Most reloaders fail in this category, storing their primers in their garages with no atmosphere control or high humidity basements. It doesn't take much time before a primer starts to deteriorate in the right conditions. A primer that is deteriorating can fire, but it isn't as strong as a non-deteriorating primer, and when this happens, most don't understand that it could be the primer, not the powder or rifle! Primer integrity is essential to performance.

Getting back to the "no ways"! The "no ways" do not have good cleanliness habits and to my disgust are hygenically challenged. I look at their cars and the inside interiors look like dumpsters in a fast food restaurant. I know these guys and their reloading area's are a disaster waiting to happen. How they can live that way is beyond me, but they get by! Do they also have misfires and problems with other brands of primers, well yes, generally speaking, they continue to have issue's and now I understand why! But instead of looking at the real reason they have problems, they lay the blame on those poor little primers. It isn't the primers in these cases, it's the human who failed in cleaning 101!

Wolf primers and Tula will give excellent performance, you must do your part also! I use Wolf and have never had a problem in the many many years I have used them.
Matt

Hefights
04-13-2013, 06:43
Use Wolf primers for LP in .45 ACP. They work fine, but packaging is dangerous. They slip very easily out of the individual 100 ct boxes which are not made as well as US. So be careful.

The SR magnum work fine in .223.

BigMo
04-13-2013, 08:31
Matt:
I'm giving you the "laugh of the day" award! :)

I reluctantly pulled this up to see what it was and found that you have decided to take the 10 minutes to write that if you don't like Wolf primers then you are a pig and need to clean your self up...................

I'm guessing someone you know is a pig and doesn't like Wolf primers. What is his name? So we can call it the "XXX effect."

You need to find better friends.

Matt Anthony
04-14-2013, 03:17
Your quote Big Mo
I reluctantly pulled this up to see what it was and found that you have decided to take the 10 minutes to write that if you don't like Wolf primers then you are a pig and need to clean your self up...................

The post did not say that if you did not like Wolf Primers you were a pig! I decline the award and gladly give it back to you on the premise you didn't actually read my post. This way you don't look as bad as if you did read it and failed to comprehend it.

The post was about others bashing Wolf and Tula primers when in fact they could be the culprits on failed firing due to their poor reloading/cleanliness issue's. Also, I should not of said friends, I should of said "people I know of"! Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Matt

BigMo
04-15-2013, 01:53
Well, you didn't read my post.....What is the guys name? :)
(And dont say BigMo..........)

Btw- I've not had problems with Wolf either...........

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?37934-Wolf-brand-primers-any-good

Matt Anthony
04-15-2013, 03:01
Well, you didn't read my post.....What is the guys name? :)
(And dont say BigMo..........)

Btw- I've not had problems with Wolf either...........

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?37934-Wolf-brand-primers-any-good

To answer your question, BigMo is his name! Sorry, but that's the truth and he's really a dirty filthy pig! His home is like a cyclone went through it last year. Years old food on the tables, chairs, floors, two dead dogs in the kitchen. There is another one in the laundry room hanging because BigMo likes his meat aged! The sanitary conditions are unspeakable in this double wide so I will refrain from commenting. You asked and you got the truth, I hope you can live with it!

Honestly BigMo, you are the best and I enjoy hearing from you. You do crack me up on every post!

BigMo
04-15-2013, 10:05
Touche Sir, Touche......

We'll end this here? Because the other way is one us will have to go to the nearest mass transit public bathroom and load up some rounds and see what happens..........

You first. :)

Matt Anthony
04-16-2013, 03:55
I too say let's end it and be civil to eachother also! I have never taken mass transit, a city bus, taxi or commuter train. I have always lived away from big cities and if I ever had to go into Chicago, I would drive my own vehicle.
I also hear mass transit public rest rooms are dens of homosexuals, gang bangers, where politicians frequent and bad things happen to straight people! You first on that one, I actually don't even know what they look like or where they are! I'll stay in suburbia where it's safe!
Matt

slamfire
04-29-2013, 02:03
Getting back to the "no ways"! The "no ways" do not have good cleanliness habits and to my disgust are hygenically challenged. I look at their cars and the inside interiors look like dumpsters in a fast food restaurant. I know these guys and their reloading area's are a disaster waiting to happen. How they can live that way is beyond me, but they get by! Do they also have misfires and problems with other brands of primers, well yes, generally speaking, they continue to have issue's and now I understand why! But instead of looking at the real reason they have problems, they lay the blame on those poor little primers. It isn't the primers in these cases, it's the human who failed in cleaning 101!

Matt: I agree with everything you have said.

Modern primer cake is mixed wet and it has to be baked to get it dry. Primers are covered with a sealant but nothing is a perfect barrier. Primers will absorb water and that will effect ignition. Cold and dry are the best storage conditions for primers and powder.

I have been using Tula7.62 rifle primers and they are just excellent, but, talking with a shooting bud last night about primer sensitivity, Russian primers are proving to be less sensitive than American. Russian military weapons traditionally have been simple, well designed with robust ignition systems. Once I was able to examine a Russian Tokarev . For simplicity the Russians had eliminated the firing pin spring. A M1911 uses a firing pin spring to keep the firing pin from hitting the primer, this is to prevent slamfires. The Russian pistol relied on primer insensitivity to keep the primer from igniting as there were no springs around the free floating firing pin.

However, my friend was having 20% misfire rates in his Glock with those insensitive Russian pistol primers. With revolvers, which hit the primer harder, he had zero percent misfires.
So, if there is a moral to this story, don’t use Russian primers in weapons with weak or marginal ignition systems. However, use Russian primers in weapons robust ignition systems with free floating firing pins, such as AR’s, Garands, M1a’s, M1 Carbines, to reduce the chance of a firing pin initiated slamfire.

Former Cav
04-30-2013, 07:03
so then, why can't you work up a load for your 25-06?

joem
04-30-2013, 11:47
I have used Tula primers. They made the rounds go bang. I did note that there was a slight loss of velocity -200 FPS. Not a big deal either. The primer cup is softer and I prefer CCI or Federal as they seem to fit tighter.