PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Winters Dies

Tom Doniphon
04-12-2013, 06:30
Funny man Jonathan Winters died today. Loved his improv style and all those crazy characters he did. He was an ex Marine and I believe a gun collector too. I used to see him at some gun shows.

RIP Jonathan.

Griff Murphey
05-16-2013, 04:38
My favorite one of his was the one where he was a Marine getting briefed for an amphibious assault of an unidentified island...
"I'm Lieutenant Matthews.... FIRST Lieutenant Matthews... Don't ever forget it... I'd LIKE to be going with you, BUT THEY NEED ME HERE. I shall, however, be observing through heavy lenses..."

joem
05-17-2013, 11:23
Great comedian and didn't have to resort to vulger speach to get good laughs.

dave
05-17-2013, 02:35
Funnist movie he made was "The Loved One". Funeral industry hated it!!

IditarodJoe
05-17-2013, 07:20
Profanity and sexual innuendo are crutches for writers who can't write and performers who can't act. Winters was among the best of his craft. RIP Jonathan.

Rick the Librarian
06-10-2013, 08:50
My favorite one of his was the one where he was a Marine getting briefed for an amphibious assault of an unidentified island...
"I'm Lieutenant Matthews.... FIRST Lieutenant Matthews... Don't ever forget it... I'd LIKE to be going with you, BUT THEY NEED ME HERE. I shall, however, be observing through heavy lenses..."

My favorite, as well. A friend had the record and we listened to it all the time.

Guamsst
10-03-2013, 07:22
Profanity and sexual innuendo are crutches for writers who can't write and performers who can't act. Winters was among the best of his craft. RIP Jonathan.

Vulgarity can be hilarious but there needs to be some intelligence to the joke. I find Sacha Baron Cohen to be great at this and I find myself embarassed at some of the jokes of his I laugh at. For instance, in the dictator there is a bit where he is hanging from a wire high above the streets of NYC and needs to get rid of weight quickly and he tries to poop but complains how constipated he has been then he finally poops what is basically a brick. Meanwhile, on the street below a mugger snatches a womans purse and sprints away. She screams "HELP! SOMEONE STOP HIM" and then the poop brick hits her in the head and knocks her out. It isn't funny because someone got pooped on, it's funny because it was the person you didn't expect.