PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in the Tulsa show

GregU
04-10-2013, 04:11
I went to the Tulsa gun show last weekend hoping to pick up another 03 or 03A3. A buddy went with me hoping to get an 03 also. I've got 2 03's and 2 03A3's. The A3's are nice but the 03's are both mixmasters. I was hoping to get one a little more "correct" and I'd really like a RIA. Or, I was thinking about finding a "reasonable" A3 to make an A4gery. I guess I was a little naive LOL! Low number 03's were selling for $8-1200. High numbers were selling from $1500-3000! Found one RIA for $1400 but was a beater. The A3's weren't really too bad, but, if I'm going to turn around and buy a scope, mount, and stock for an A4gery, they were a little more than I want to spend. I wouldn't have to put out much more to get a Gibbs/Creedmore repro. And since mine's not going to be the real deal I don't have any qualms about getting the repro over original parts. Especially when it would cost that much. So, am I out of touch on pricing? I see a lot of posts where people ask if this/that rifle is worth the asking price of XXXXX. Most times people here say "It's not worth that, it's only worth XXXXX. But at the show, they were much higher than everyone states here for value. Am I unrealistic? There's 2 shows locally coming up within the next month and I'll look around. I'll have a table at one and I'm going to put up a sign "Want to buy" and see what happens. Greg

1mark
04-10-2013, 07:24
Greg are you wanting a A3 barreled receiver drill rifle for the A4 project? If so let me know I have some.

jgaynor
04-11-2013, 02:12
Sometimes you will do better on Sunday right before the show closes. Walk up to the table with cash in hand. Make a reasonable offer but be firm. If you think its too high give them the 'flinch' and and walk away.

JimF
04-11-2013, 07:19
Sometimes you will do better on Sunday right before the show closes. Walk up to the table with cash in hand. Make a reasonable offer but be firm. If you think its too high give them the 'flinch' and and walk away.

Back in the late 50's/early 60's, that's exactly what I used to do . . . .

I'd watch these dealers packing up their stuff on a late Sunday afternoon . . . . I'd then ask them if they were "in love" with this-or-that, and wished to "take it back home" . . . AGAIN!

More often than not, they would cut me a deal! --Jim

Jim in Salt Lake
04-11-2013, 10:06
If you're looking to build a replica A4, I would look for a rifle already drilled. There's a lot of "gently" sporterized rifles you can get for a good price. I bought a 1903 drilled for a side mount scope, $300 and included a Weaver 330. It had a cut down military stock and still had all the original metal. I needed a new stock, bolt body, and trigger and sear and I was ready to have my scope mounted. Since I did this one, I've seen other good rifles. The key is the less sporterizing, the better. Once a receiver is drilled, the rifle value plummets and the key to a good candidate rifle is how much you'll have to do to return it to military configuration. In my case, that was a stock. I passed on rifles that had cut down barrels or bad bores, a new barrel would have blown my budget. The side mounted scope was a bonus, the receiver had no holes in the receiver top. Keep looking, something will pop for you.

stevekaw
04-11-2013, 01:25
I rarely seem to find any decent '03s at shows any more that aren't very pricey. Once in awhile you can score a deal on Gunbroker, but even that's getting difficult. The best places now seem to be the CMP or other forums like this one, local auctions, or private sales.

Demand is way up; supply is steady or slowly shrinking. Result: higher prices! :icon_e_sad:

BigMo
04-11-2013, 09:23
Tulsa, like the Collectors Show in Denver, have collectors that are proud of their items and really don't want to sell them. They price them high. Go to smaller shows and look around. You can find decent buys- just look around and be patient.

BigMo
04-11-2013, 09:25
PS- what others have said-- there are plenty of already drilled receivers you could use-- find one of those and use that one. Cheaper too!

springfield3
04-12-2013, 10:38
Hello,
PM sent
Bob

GregU
04-12-2013, 07:08
I've bought firearms at Tulsa before. I always have found what I was looking for at a reasonable price. Last year I picked up a NICE Garand for a decent price. This year however, seemed to be different. Spent 2 1/2 days there and never found anything that made me look twice. Got 2 local gunshows coming up in the next 3 weeks. I'll see if anything turns up. If not I'll decide which way I'll go then.