PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a dumb question

wayne
04-10-2013, 02:46
I'm trying to figure out what I have. The metal band around the stock (under the bolt) is marked
with a crown/GRI/1948/No.1.Mk3

The serial on the receiver is 87134 with what looks like a "J" under it.

I do not see a makers name, so can someone tell me who made this rifle, or where to look for the name??:icon_redface::icon_redface:

JB White
04-10-2013, 08:06
It's an Ishapore, made at RFI. The GRI is the dead giveaway. Latin for Georgeous Rex Imperator. In English that would roughly translate to King George, Emperor, or King of the UK and supreme leader of India. Only the India made rifles carry that moniker.

The "metal band" is oft called the buttsocket. The J is actually what we know as a serial number prefix even though it's a suffix. Once around the number 00000 to 99999 block it starts over with an A. Next time a B, and so on and so on. Yours just happens to be a J the 10th time around. Not carved in stone however. Later on in post independence India, certain runs of rifles appear to have been marked Z then progressed backwards through the alphabet.

wayne
04-11-2013, 06:15
Sir, I do appreciate the information. Now I don't feel so bad about putting it up for sale. Thank you!

JB White
04-11-2013, 06:56
Now I don't feel so bad about putting it up for sale.

I sure got suckered into that one. From now on people can do their own damned homework. I'm done.

Scott from Indiana
04-11-2013, 08:58
You didn't know where it was going. What good is knowing things and not being able to share them with others that really have an interest? Just relax in the knowledge that they may end up with the hollow relationship that comes from Garand or Mauser collecting. They will never know or understand Enfielditis....