PDA

View Full Version : New PF-series No4

Calfed
04-10-2013, 12:40
Last week I glommed a new private series K31 at an on-line auction. At the same auction I also won an Enfield No4 with a "no drill" scope mount. Both arrived at my FFL today and I got a chance to look them over before they went into his safe.

I've always wondered how a scoped no4 would shoot, but didn't want to drill any of my No4's. Not sure how well the B-Square no-drill mount works, but I'll soon be finding out.

The bore was spectacular and the auction description seemed right on the money.

Description advised ...

British No. 4 MK I Bolt Action Rifle, #63599, .303 cal., 25'' barrel, dark phosphate finish, European walnut stock and brass buttplate. Rifle has been fitted with B-square scope mounted rings. Condition is very good. Action is crisp, bore is fine. Lightly import marked.

JB White
04-10-2013, 02:10
You will need some sort of cheek rest unless you want the thing to kick you in the jaw. The line of sight is so high that when using a scope very very few can get any sort of a proper cheek weld. Many of us have been through that experience. Including yours truly. I hope it came with the rear sight?

Not a bad looking postwar rifle for the right price. Such a shame the stock was stripped of its original finish. Not intentionally raining on your parade, but since you posted the sellers description I feel it important to mention that I don't see it as being "very good" since the wood was dinked with. That can be remedied at least appearance-wise. Just don't reach for the Minwax!

Calfed
04-10-2013, 02:27
I knew there were issues with the finish, but as I said, I've always wanted a scoped No4.

The price was right ($180 plus a 14.5% "buyer's premium") and I just couldn't pass it up.

JB White
04-10-2013, 02:32
At that price you did very well. Even if you decide you don't like the scope, you still have enough equity to cleanly afford a replacement rear sight and a correct-type refinish. I hope it turns ut to be a tackdriver for you.

Calfed
04-10-2013, 02:35
Thanks, JB.

I got it at the Orange Coast auction.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=4840&aid=64358&lid=16063389&rfpb=0#Top

Calfed
05-07-2013, 06:52
I finally picked up my Scoped Enfield and was able to give it a good going over. Rifle is in very good condition and the bore is spectacular. All matching. I'm not sure about the stock. It looks a little better than it does in the pictures, but it is different than my other No.4's.

I'll mount a scope on it and see how it shoots.