PDA

View Full Version : An opinion from those here on an Armalite

mack
04-09-2013, 10:34
I recently traded into an Armalite A2 (long forend and traditional rear stock) and was wondering if these rifles have a good reputation or what the feelings were in general about them.

This is a new brand of AR for me and since I only have had four in times past, I thought it prudent to ask.

This rifle has a "compensator" fixed with a pin through it. The overall condition is very nice with no appearance wear and rifling that appears perfect. I would call it NRA Excellent, at least.

Am I better off keeping it the way it is or should I change the furniture to a more "modern" type? Or, is this just throwing away good money? I have a Rock River with adjustable buttstock and a flattop with scope, so I don't feel the need for another like it unless there is some financial advantage down the road.

rider
04-09-2013, 10:40
Armalite has a good reputation but the question is: Do you want an A2? I enjoy shooting them but if you don't, you might want to trade it for a carbine or something else.

gwp
04-09-2013, 02:26
I have an Armalite AR10, an Armalite M15 and two Armalite complete upper receivers. All of my Armalites are reliable and accurate. I would expect your Armalite to be acceptable as well. Try out the rifle before you think about changing it. My grandson is very happy with a m16A1 upper with triangle hand guards and he does not want to change to a more modern looking upper.

Hecklerusp45
04-09-2013, 08:16
A furniture change would be a matter of personal likes and dislikes. Does it feel right in your hands? If so, don't fix what is not broken. I love my Armalite and I think you will like yours as well after you have some time to get to know it.

p246
04-10-2013, 06:53
I've had a couple over the years and was happy with both. As far as how to set it up its like a big boys leggo set. Its falls on personal preference and the sky is the limit. If it was mine I wouldn't set it up like another I owned. I like diversity :-)

Jim in Salt Lake
04-10-2013, 10:13
One of our junior team rifles is an Armalite national match rifle, basically an A2 configuration with a nicer two stage trigger and better barrel. One of our kids used it to win the Sharpshooter class at NRA week at Camp Perry last summer. I wouldn't change a thing on that rifle, other than the barrel when it gets worn out.

BigMo
04-10-2013, 01:07
What others have said:
One if the great things of an AR is you can set it up as you wish. Try it as is, shoot others and find what you want.....

da gimp
04-10-2013, 05:34
While I heartily approve of the quality of Armalite's weapons......... I find fault with their decision to not join other manufacturers of weapons decision, to not keep selling weapons to police officers only, in states where the average, law abiding citizen cannot purchase them...........

mack
04-12-2013, 10:35
I appreciate the replies and are reassured because of those replies. I have decided not to spend money modifying the rifle from its original configuration. It will suit me just the way it is.