PDA

View Full Version : No. 4 peep sight

Fred
04-08-2013, 01:47
Could somebody please tell me when Springfirld Armory stopped installing size 4 apertures on the rear sights of 1903's? I just bought one and am going to mount it on one of my rifles to see just how it looks to "peep" through. I used to have a couple of early 03's with 05 dated barrels and solid handguards that had size 4 apertures on them. But that was 30 years ago when I had really good eyes. I used one of the rifles with No. 4 aperture sights to group three rounds within 1/4" spread once in a perfect equalateral triangle at 100 yards. They certanly aren't a practical combat sight, but great for a target sight if the light is sufficient. Fred

RCS
04-08-2013, 04:29
I have a Springfield 1903 (160K serial range) with a SA 2-07 bbl and it has an unmarked rear peep (#4 ?) also without the platinum line in a second variation of the Model 1905 rear sight. Also have a Rock Island in the 64K serial range with a RIA 3-07 barrel and this rifle has the first variation Model 1905 rear sight and unmarked peep with the platinum lines.

photo shows an unmarked #4 with platinum line and a #8 peep which is a nice peep to use, also you could the USMC #10 too21243

QCI Springfield
04-08-2013, 07:23
My first Springfield, a 1918 R I A had the #4 peep. Man, that thing was waaay too fine for my eyes.

Fred
04-08-2013, 09:02
photo shows an unmarked #4 with platinum line and a #8 peep which is a nice peep to use, also you could the USMC #10 too21243

Wow, I never knew they made anything between a #5 and a #10.
I've never seen an 8! My #4 is the 2nd type without the platinum lines.
I took the #5 off of my 1918 SA and replaced it with the #4. That sight is definitely designed to use in very bright light. Thanks for the information!

Fred
04-08-2013, 09:05
My first Springfield, a 1918 R I A had the #4 peep. Man, that thing was waaay too fine for my eyes.

Yea, it's not a practical sight for everyday use, is it? I'm having trouble seeing clearly through it.

Emri
04-09-2013, 06:56
Wow, I never knew they made anything between a #5 and a #10.
I've never seen an 8! My #4 is the 2nd type without the platinum lines.
I took the #5 off of my 1918 SA and replaced it with the #4. That sight is definitely designed to use in very bright light. Thanks for the information!

I have a small handfull of 5's that were "X'ed" out and re-stamped "8", but don't know the timeframe when they were done.

Fred
04-09-2013, 06:57
Ok, I replaced the #4 with a #6. Everything looks fine through the sight now.

Fred
04-09-2013, 07:01
I have a small handfull of 5's that were "X'ed" out and re-stamped "8", but don't know the timeframe when they were done.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I'm going to start looking through the 03 parts bins at gun shows for any of those. I appreciate that bit of information Emri! Thanks.

RCS
04-09-2013, 07:03
These are also nice sights and repros are still being made - the USMC #10 peep is also nice to use and the front sight is easy to find with the larger peep. With the USMC front sight and the rear sight leaf folded down, you have a 200 yard range rather than the old 547 yard range
from the issue sights

Fred
04-09-2013, 08:49
I think that sight assembly is a pratical one. I've seen the different components for sale before, but haven't pursued them because I allways considered them to be just for Marine issued rifles. However, I can't see why I shouldn't have a set to mount and use on any of my Army (or possibly even Navy) issued 03's. The sight picture would no doubt improve a great deal for my stigmatism. With my driving and walking around glasses, I can see through a well enough defined peep to center the front sight in and am able to view both the blade and the target sharply. With my reading glasses on, I can of course only see the rear peep sharply (Something that's not necessary) and cannot see the front sight or the target at all. Using just my eyes, without the walking around glasses which allow me to focus sharply on anything about 3 ft and beyond, I can see through a peep sight well enough to see the front sight and the target, but the peep sight aperture appears to be a slightly overlapped double image. So, it's the driving and walking around glasses for me with an 03. With those glasses on, my vision is 20-10 or so. I'll be interested to see what happens when I use a Marine Corps sight arangement with the #10 aperture. Being originaly ambidexterous as well as being left eye dominant, I find holding and sighting and firing a rifle left handed quite as natural as doing so right handed. I can even operate a right handed bolt action left handed quite well, which just necessitates reaching over the top slightly and pulling the bolt upwards with the left hand (actually with the thumb) instead of pushing it up with the right hand. It feels as natural to me as the other way. I hold a pistol right handed but easily use my left eye to sight with. I allways keep both eyes open of course when shooting anything as is propper. Whenever the teachers in Nursery, Kindergarten and later Grade School would see me using my left hand to draw or write with, they'd stop me and force me to use only my right hand. Pretty messed up people who were in charge of education back then, eh?

RCS
04-09-2013, 03:24
There is also a #9 peep from the WW1 period (posted on milsurps by JB)

Fred
04-09-2013, 06:33
Hmmm, That's interesting! I wonder if there's also a #7 and a #8...?

RCS
04-09-2013, 06:36
Easy to enlarge the peep sight hole, you can do it yourself, it was done in the 30's at matches

Fred
04-09-2013, 07:21
Yep. With a peep enlarger. I passed one up years ago on eBay. I'll buy the next one I see. They must've had graduating marks on the tapered finger bit that allowed one to see what they were doing. The other end had a counter head bit for enlarging counter holes.

RCS
04-09-2013, 08:00
good idea