PDA

View Full Version : ID a Hard Ball gun builder??

George in NH
04-08-2013, 11:33
Hi Gang,
Guy I work with brought in a GI hard ball gun this morning. Since this pistol has no "built by" markings, I was wondering if it could be traced to a particular 'smith by one of it's features? This feature is a lock screw on the right side of the trigger that prevents the over travel screw from moving once the over travel is properly set. A long shot I know but given the knowledge base on this thread the info just might turn up. No pics as I am at work but here are some features.......1911 frame, 284 range, JMG inspected, 1911A1 slide with Triangle rear sight, Colt barrel, "c" in a box, "M" and a "P" on the lugs, frame as marked around the disconnecter hole "H" at the top or barrel side, "G" on the hammer side and a "S" at the three o'clock side. Should add that "Colt .45 Auto" is stamped on the chamber portion of the barrel as seen through the ejection port. The work is extremely well done with great attention to detail. Wish I had the time to go wring it out on the fifty yard line!!
TIA..........George in NH

Duane Hansen
04-13-2013, 07:45
Not likely that you will figure out who put this together as it was done by so many back in the day. When the old DCM was selling them for $17.00 and it seemed almost all shooters wanted to get into BullsEye shooting, many gun shops and back yard wannabes turned 1000's of the .45 pistols into pretty accurate pieces.

Johnny P
04-13-2013, 09:13
Virtually any gun show of any size that you went to 20 or 30 years ago had at least one guy selling accurized 1911 style pistols. It is pretty well known what it takes to make a 1911 style pistol accurate, so you can pay $1000 or $5000 and probably get a dime's worth of difference.

ignats
04-14-2013, 08:33
Just design another gimmick to "improve" accuracy and the suckers will line up to buy it. I've seen some mighty impressive shooting with "as issued" USGI pistols. The national match guns as produced by the various military armories took that to the next level. After that there isn't much more that needs doing.