PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 RIA rebuild

FLATLOCK
04-06-2013, 09:28
Would it be uncommon to find an original condition "as rebuilt by RIA" Colt 1911 RIA marked rebuild in the 340,000 serial number range with an arched 1911A1 mainspring housing and long 1911A1 grip safety ? All parts match with the light grayish RIA parkerizing . It also still has the original type long 1911 trigger and 1911A1 grips . The RIA marking appears to have been stamped after the refinish . I have seen many arsenal rebuilt 1911 pistols , but all still had the flat mainspring housing and the short grip safety . Opinions and photos if possible would be much appreciated . THANKS !

Duane Hansen
04-06-2013, 11:44
As a rule the Arsenal rebuild did not usually include msh or grip safety but with every rule comes exceptions and I will not say 100% sure that the arsenal did not do this change.

Duane Hansen
04-07-2013, 11:02
I have seen many Arsonally marked rebuild examples that were changed later in it's life and then reparked too. Sometimes it's very difficult to tell the difference between a legit rebuild and one that was messed with later on.

FLATLOCK
04-07-2013, 11:26
Thanks for your comments Duane . This may be the case with this gun . It looks to be the original arsenal refinish and I can see that the RIA stamping is cut through the parkerizing . It is hard to say if the addition of the 1911A1 msh and grip safety was a post rebuild addition or not , even though the finish matches . If I could find matching finish 1911 parts , I would be tempted to change the 1911A1 parts out and keep them along with the gun . If anyone could help me with those parts , I would be interested . The RIA refinish is a lighter gray , smoother finish than the AA marked guns that I have seen and does not appear to have been sand blasted . I may post a WTB add later . Thanks again !

jonnyo55
04-08-2013, 03:09
Could be the civilian owner just wanted to update the piece, or simply liked the A1 parts better. My dad got a nice 1918 Colt from uncle for the princely sum of $14.50...it was, when he got it, as issued, but parkerized and with plastic grips. He promptly hired a buffing wheel artist to install a grotesque set of adjustable sights and give the whole thing a high polish blue....the horror, the horror!