PDA

View Full Version : Remington Ammo Available

psteinmayer
04-05-2013, 12:01
For those of you in south east Michigan... I was at the Dundee Cabelas today, and they had around 15 boxes of Remington 30-40 Krag factory ammo for $37.50 a box. I know the price is steep... but with ammo availability these days, it's not too bad a price. I was surprised there was that many boxes... I've never seen more than one or two in the past.

Paul

jerrbear
04-05-2013, 03:54
Have been going to my regular ammo stores that always have had Remington 30-40 Krag. Now I can't find it anywhere. Finally bought a box at a gun show last week for $35.00 and that was the only one he had. I was glad to get it so I don't think $37.50 is a bad price. I have never seen so many empty shelves!

jon_norstog
04-10-2013, 06:53
Yesterday, I went to Doc's Gun Barn here in Poke to sign up for the IF&G moose draw. They had 5 boxes of Winchester 30-40, $35 apiece. They tell me they sell a fair amount of it to hunters.

jn

CJCulpeper
04-10-2013, 05:53
Yesterday, I went to Doc's Gun Barn here in Poke to sign up for the IF&G moose draw. They had 5 boxes of Winchester 30-40, $35 apiece. They tell me they sell a fair amount of it to hunters.

jn

Glad I don't need to buy any 30-40 ammo for a while. I wonder how new Krag shooters do it in this inflated economy.

CJC

psteinmayer
04-10-2013, 06:22
Me neither CJC... I've been reloading for 30 some-odd years. I do have three boxes of Remington ammo that I've been hanging on to for a decade.

CJCulpeper
04-10-2013, 07:23
Reloading. That is the next big thing for me but with one hundred boxes of krag fodder it will be a hundred years before I shoot through all of it. Bought a bunch of it in 2005/6 when I was in Iraq. Geez it seems like a billion years since I got there for the first time. Going back to Afghanistan in a week or so.

Is there a good standard bullet mold for Krags or is it custom fit which requires slugging the bore?

Culpeper

Mark Daiute
04-11-2013, 03:23
Reloading. That is the next big thing for me but with one hundred boxes of krag fodder it will be a hundred years before I shoot through all of it. Bought a bunch of it in 2005/6 when I was in Iraq. Geez it seems like a billion years since I got there for the first time. Going back to Afghanistan in a week or so.

Is there a good standard bullet mold for Krags or is it custom fit which requires slugging the bore?

Culpeper

Well there are a couple of standard molds, the 311299 and 311284 come to mind but you will want to slug your bore and size either of these bullets to fit. Krag bores vary greatly and you may want the 314299. So, I guess the answer to your question is yes and yes.

madsenshooter
04-11-2013, 09:45
The 314299 might be as close to a "fits all Krags" bullet as one could find, provided the nose casts big enough. It should, since it's made for the .303, but lots of fellows on castboolits are complaining about the nose being small on molds made by Lyman now. Knowing what you have by slugging the bore will be advisable, might save you from having to send a mold back or relegating it for use in modern bores only. Then there are a few custom makers that will make sure you get what you need, and at a price not far above Lyman's. This company has quite a few designs, and you can specify the nose and band diameter that you want. http://www.accuratemolds.com/index.php Only problem I see with them is all their designs are flat nose, and some Krags won't feed them. I have one of their 31-230E molds, drops them at 220gr in my alloy, with a .301-.302 nose. One of my Krags will feed it, another won't. Keeping an eye on the group buy section of castboolits is a good idea too. They often run .314 and .316 versions of molds they make. NOE bullet molds shows one 316155 flatnose in stock, I have had some luck with the bullet, the nose tapers from .302" at the ogive to .311 at the front edge of the crimping groove. Despite the 155 in the mold number, casts at 168gr in my alloy. The fat nose has to be seated to an OAL of 2.08", same as GI ammo, and the fat nose is into the throat at that length. At that OAL the bullet nose doesn't often touch the feed ramp, the round just pops out of the magazine into the bottom of the receiver waiting to be pushed forward. Least in the one rifle I tried it in. 1.5" 100yd group at around 2300fps using 43gr of IMR4007SSC. (I cast with a harder than normal alloy, 23BHN) That's the only shooting I've done with it so far. Another good thing about this bullet is that it casts large enough for me to also use it in a very large bore Mosin that I have.