PDA

View Full Version : Wolf brand primers, any good?

M1Riflenut
04-04-2013, 05:51
Local gunshop is slowly getting restocked on things but small rifle primers are still hard to find. They have CCI BR but 500 limit. Stopped in today and they had Wolf 1k rd boxes for 29.95 and no limits. I bought two boxes, was going to get more but I don't know how these are. Normally before I stock up on something I like to try it first but this time I don't have the time. Anyone got any experiance with this brand of primers? I've never had any issues with their loaded ammo other than some of it being dirty, but it always goes bang. Will be using these for 5.56 for the AR's, mostly just range/blasting ammo.

Tuna
04-04-2013, 08:38
If I remember right these primers are made by Tula for Wolf. If so then for small rifle they are fine except for the 5.56/223 as they recommend the magnum primer for them. I would think for range ammo with no max loads you should be fine with them.

Jim in Salt Lake
04-05-2013, 10:13
I bought 5000 Wolf magnum small rifle primers a couple years ago. They were great but we shot them all, I would get them again in a heartbeat. We used them in ARs for highpower service rifle.

M1Riflenut
04-05-2013, 02:21
If I remember right these primers are made by Tula for Wolf. If so then for small rifle they are fine except for the 5.56/223 as they recommend the magnum primer for them. I would think for range ammo with no max loads you should be fine with them.

It's been awhile since I sat at my reloading bench for 5.56 but I don't recall needing/using magnum primers in the past? I must go check my books now....

Jim in Salt Lake
04-05-2013, 02:28
They're not needed for a hotter spark, the metal cup is harder. Makes it harder to pierce them with the firing pin.

M1Riflenut
04-05-2013, 02:38
They're not needed for a hotter spark, the metal cup is harder. Makes it harder to pierce them with the firing pin.
Thanks Jim.

Hip's Ax
04-09-2013, 06:49
The normal Wolf SR are akin to Remington 6 1/2, they are soft and for rounds like the 22 Hornet only. Wolf SRM do not have increased output, only a thicker cup. I have been running Wolf SRM in my AR for some time now, love them. Wolf primers also shoot great, I am using Wolf LR in my 6.5-284 1000 yd rifle and Wolf LRM in my 6XC 600 yard mid range prone rifle.