PDA

View Full Version : New 03A3

Calfed
04-03-2013, 08:37
I won this Remington 03A3 tonight on an on-line auction. It looks like it could still be in original condition. I know it is hard to tell because the pictures aren't the greatest, but the finish on the parts looks right. I'll know more when the rifle arrives and I can get a better look at the parts.

Description was a bit sparse.

Remington 03A3 Unaltered 30.06Serial Number 3945454
Has original cleaning kit in stock.

rebound
04-03-2013, 09:38
Nice looking rifle..
I hope the price was right... But
What really matters is , are you happy with it.

Calfed
04-03-2013, 09:46
Nice looking rifle..
I hope the price was right... But
What really matters is , are you happy with it.

Thanks rebound. I'll know more when it arrives, probably in a few weeks.

I let my emotions get in the way and bid past my limit for this one. It will be a good deal if it turns out to be in as nice of condition as it looks.

I'll post better pics when it arrives.

Calfed
04-16-2013, 01:49
My new 03A3 arrived today and I just got back from my FFL where I looked it over.

All the small parts are blued. The bands, sling swivels and bolt are marked "R". The barrel is a 7/43 and measures "0" on the CMP muzzle gauge. Bore is shiny with sharp lands. I forgot to check whether it is a 2 or a 4 groove.

The stock has the Remington style band spring cut out. It has 4 small inspection stamps just forward of the trigger guard and a single proper size "P" stamp just aft of the trigger guard. I could find no other stamps on the stock other than those ("RA", "FJA", and crossed cannons) depicted in the pictures.

The stock is excellent condition with just a few small dents on the left side, near the magazine cut-off.

This looks very similar to an "unissued" condition 03A3 that I got several years ago.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=56256

I didn't have much time to go over it, so it is possible that I missed something. I'll post better pics when I pick it up in 10 days.

Calfed
06-22-2013, 06:41
I finally got around to taking some pics of the 03A3 that I got a few months ago. Everything looks good...appears to be all original. Bore is a "0" on the CMP gauge, 4 groove dated 7-43. Lands look great. I can not find any re-arsenal stamp, not even the "OG" inspection stamp. Wood has a few minor dings. All the metal is stamped with an "R"

Shooter5
06-23-2013, 03:57
Nice! You are going to have to buy a new safe with all the new rifles you have acquired. Are you going to shoot it for competition? Do you have an 03A4 type as well to go up against your Mausers?

Calfed
06-23-2013, 09:41
Thanks Shooter.

I'm not sure about shooting it in competition. I've got several 03A3's that shoot pretty well. I mainly glomme dthis one because it was a pretty good price an dit looked pretty original.

I do have an 03A4...that was unfortunately (or fortunately, perhaps) sportered .

It is a beautiful sporterizing job...

It still has the original scope mount, bolt and probably barrel. But it has been highly polished and blued. My plan is to remount it in a military stock, put a Weaver K2.5 scope on it and shoot it in the CMP vintage sniper match

p246
06-23-2013, 09:02
Nice rifles and in my flavor

Calfed
06-24-2013, 11:13
Thanks, 246

Shooter5
06-25-2013, 07:33
Vintage, retro and sporterized rifles are making a comeback. No one today condones working over the originals that are left but for the ones that did get altered many have an appeal all their own.

p246
06-25-2013, 07:56
Vintage, retro and sporterized rifles are making a comeback. No one today condones working over the originals that are left but for the ones that did get altered many have an appeal all their own.
I have both and love them all. I like the originals (American) because they remind me of my grandfathers and what their generation accomplished with them. The sporters I have built were from trashed mil slurp guns. It's neat to ring the accuracy out of them.

Calfed
06-25-2013, 09:35
You can still pick up a sported 1903 or 03A3 for a song and they are accurate, reliable rifles. I've pick up several for either parts, to re-militarize or just becaUse they were pretty. Paid less than $200 for each.