PDA

View Full Version : Wow! I didn't know that??? New NM information?

1903shooter
03-29-2013, 01:09
Just had to share this, it is a description from a recent auction on auctionarms. Wow, whaqt a load of bull dung.

This auction is for a 1903 Springfield Rifle, high serial number receiver 1091840 from 1919 that is heat treated twice. The barrel is marked S A and is dated 4 - 19. I can see no pitting or rust in the barrel and a shinny bore (old eyes). TE = 2.2 and MW = 1.5. Bolt closes on GO gauge and will not close on Field gauge. Bolt has a NS on safety lug which is correct for 1919 Rock Island receiver, but was used on 1919 Springfield National Match rifles because it is nickel steel and the Springfield bolts are not. Stock has one stock bolt (added to stock after 1908), a DAL Springfield inspector stamp (1916 - 1942 per Poyer) on left side by receiver (see picture) and a script P by the trigger guard. Stock could have been refinished when it was converted from a 1904 Rod Bayonet stock. I can see no cracks or splits in stock. Stock is sturdy and is a nice looking. NM handguard is marked D28179. Receiver, barrel and some other parts are blue. This rifle has been handled for over 90 years and has some wear on all parts of rifle. The butt plate has wear from handling even if rifle is not fired. Springfield Armory was producing only Mark I rifles in 1919 and these rifles were not considered suitable for the National Matches. Rock Island Armory was authorized to produce 2000 National Match rifles. In March however, Rock Island had been asked to provide 3000 sears, magazine cutoffs and triggers to Springfield so they could also provide 2000 National Match rifles(source Ferris, page 115, Rock Island Rifle Model 1903). These rifles were marked "MODEL 1903." not "MARK I" on the receiver. The MARK I rifles have a cartridge ejection port cut into the left side of the receiver and this rifle does not. This rifle has many polished areas. Serial numbers of Springfields produced for the 1919 National Matches were thaught to be from 1085xxx to 1095xxx. There were two other smaller groups of NM rifles, but they were produced after the 1919 National Matches. All rifles must be checked as a condition of sale by qualified gunsmith before firing. The shipping and insurance is FREE to lower 48 ( No foreign bids please, California C&R only ) states. Bank type cashier checks or USPS money orders please. Seven day inspection period. Must ship to FFL agent address. Email any questions.

chuckindenver
03-29-2013, 03:58
wow,..it got pretty deap, pretty fast...
as i always say...buy the rifle..not the story...one usually stinks. the other is a rifle.