PDA

View Full Version : What did Chinese and N Koreans use in the Korean War?

daveboy
03-27-2013, 06:06
Dumb question, I know. But, I am well versed in the equipment moved by US forces during most wars, and our enemies in several. But, I pretty much draw a blank in Korea. What was the basic rifle issued to the communist infantryman? Guessing Mosin-Nagant?

Thanks,
daveboy

blackhawknj
03-27-2013, 08:06
Mosin-Nagant, PPSh M1941 and pretty much what ever Stalin gave them.

Tuna
03-27-2013, 08:26
And a bunch of German WW2 captured weapons too.

Ron James
03-27-2013, 09:25
I knew somewhat of the weapons used but just for grins and giggles I googled " List of Korean War Weapons " Including captured weapons, they used over 20 different rifles, Japanese, Chinese, German , Russian, You name it, they used it.

Maury Krupp
03-28-2013, 08:04
The Red Chinese also used a lot of U.S. stuff ('03A3s, Thompsons, M1911s, etc) that they captured from the Nationalists during the civil war.

Or maybe "received" is a better word than "captured" since some Nationalist units simply switched sides and brought all their weapons with them.

Maury

Art
03-28-2013, 10:15
Chicom weapons, especially after you got past the front line regular troops and into the reserves, truly defined the term "logistical nightmare."

alwayslooking
04-11-2013, 11:27
My dad brought back a Type 99 Arisaka in February, 1952 ( USMC B/1/5 ) Korea, with trophy paperwork from his CO. Ground mum and missing a part of the bolt. The rifle is the most used rifle I have ever seen. It has a USMC belt for a sling, that was obviously a Chinese or NK trophy before my dad picked it up from someone who no longer needed it. He also acquired a chrome plated .45 from a Chinese officer who also no longer needed it. It was confiscated before he debarked to Japan. I still have the Chinese holster and chrome plated magazine to the pistol.

Michael Tompkins
04-16-2013, 04:17
Saw a Korean War bring-back that was a Japanese Type 38 carbine that had been converted to 8mm Mauser. It was in terrible shape, but it's the only example I've ever seen. Mike