PDA

View Full Version : strange postalmeter serial number

luckyme
03-26-2013, 05:14
Hello guys New to this forum and new to forums. Not much of a computer person so hope I can do this right and thank you for letting me try. I have a question about what looks to me to be an odd serial number on a National Postalmeter carbine.It has two small parallel hash marks similar to =, in front of the number 939,xxx. And according to what I have found that number doesn't appear in blocks assigned to postalmeter. One more thing; It sports a 5-43 Inland barrel and I've read that Marlin and Buffalo Arms supplied their barrels.Yes it's a rework I assume as it has the bayonet lug,adjustable sight, and a new old stock stock with no markings, But i can't believe they would have replaced an original barrel with a 1943.Also, the receiver and barrel are the same color and both exhibit a little wear, unlike the wood which shows none. What do you guys think and thanks again for this opportunity. luckyme

Tuna
03-26-2013, 07:20
NPM did receive about 750 receivers from Inland during 1942 and into 1943. These would have had an Inland serial number and most likely the Inland name above the serial number. A large N would have been stamped below the serial number. The number you posted is an Inland serial number. Now NPM did not use Inland barrels and it is not unusual to find barrels from other companies on rebuilt carbines. When your carbine was rebuilt it was found to have a bad barrel and they used a barrel off a receiver that was bad and placed it on yours. Can you post some pictures of your carbine and if so the receiver behind the rear sight would be a help.

BOB LOUGHLIN
03-26-2013, 07:20
Somehow the 1 got scrubbed and the = was left afterward. NPM 2nd ser.# run was from 1,937,520 to 1,982,519

luckyme
03-26-2013, 08:13
Thank you for the replies. I'll try yo send some pictures tomorrow evening. luckyme

Tom in N.J.
03-27-2013, 05:16
"The Boys" in New Jersey could charge you with having a 'defaced' serial number. Even if you got off, they might have destroyed the 'contraband' evidence, or found it "not in the public interest" to give it back. OH! a carbine?... unlawful to posses in NJ unless registered prior to 6/1/91.. never mind!..