PDA

View Full Version : Primer and powder prices?

Johnny in Texas
03-25-2013, 09:20
What were average prices for primers per thousand and a pound of powder before sandy hill i want to sell some to a young guy getting started at reloading.

broom jockey
03-26-2013, 03:13
What primers? Where are they? None around here!

Litt'le Lee
03-26-2013, 03:28
25 & 25 would be a good number--buying online cheaper--but with shipping and handling--same #'s

m1ashooter
03-26-2013, 04:25
I was in Carter Country today and they are selling large rifle at $4.75 per hundred. They have no powder this week but I bought at pound of Accurate Arms powder for $21 which is about three dollars more then LY.

Matt Anthony
03-29-2013, 03:33
Went up to Germantown, Wis. to Gun World and all they had in stock for powder was 6 lb's of Red Dot and 2 lb's of Green Dot. I bought 2 Reds and 2 Greens at $25.00 per pound. Normally this powder goes for just under $16.00 everywhere, including online. There is no reason for the increase in price, I'd say it's gouging and highway robbery. As I grow older I see how money changes everything, and this price gouging is criminal. There just isn't any sense to what is happening, no sense at all.

They had no primers, and no knowledge of when to expect any. Ammo prices are also insane! My son in law wanted to get a box of 380 ACP. All they had was Federal Gold Dot, 20 rounds for $35.00. Insanity and just outright robbery! He is getting himself ready to start casting bullets as this is the only way to save any money if you wish to shoot!

This sure isn't the America I grew up in, in fact it's not America, at least of what I remember it was! I believe it's going to get worse before it gets any better. Be mindful that we might be fighting a bloody battle to keep our rights. And please don't tell anyone what you have, the OHS has rewards for those who turn in others. You can't trust anyone!
Matt

Johnny in Texas
03-29-2013, 09:13
Thanks for the info. I am glad I stocked up long ago primers and powder last a long time if store properly. An old friend who has past gave me all his reloading stuff before he died and the there were 40 year old primers and powder that in with the tools and it all went Bang. Some of the primers had been sitting on his loading bench for 30-40 years.

Matt Anthony
03-30-2013, 03:21
Thanks for the info. I am glad I stocked up long ago primers and powder last a long time if store properly. An old friend who has past gave me all his reloading stuff before he died and the there were 40 year old primers and powder that in with the tools and it all went Bang. Some of the primers had been sitting on his loading bench for 30-40 years.

Sorry I didn't give you a price before Sandy Hook on the primers. If you bought CCI or Federal primers, they could go for $28.00 to $35.00 per thousand. Rem. and Win. primers in the range of $24.00 to $28.00. Tula, Wolf and other not so familiar names in the $18.00 to $22.00 range. Bench rest primers are always higher in price. All of these prices are what I purchased them for through different websites online as I buy for a group of shooters. At times I can get reduced prices when I buy 100 thousand at a time. Now, I can't find any and there is no word on when they will be available. If you got them, keep them and don't tell anyone what you have!

I remember years back when they were increased from $10.99 per thousand to $12.99 per thousand at Gander Mountain in Wilmot, Wisconsin. We thought a $2.00 increase was out of line. At last weeks gun show at our range in Wisconsin, a gun shop owner in Illinois bought selling space and was selling regular Winchester and Remington primers for $65.00 a thousand. People were buying them, but they were complaining of the price gouging. He didn't care at all, he said if you don't want to pay the price, someone else will. He is right on that, and I agree with his business ethics, however I think I would of asked for $100.00 per thousand! Why not, if people were not watching what was happening in the news, then you lose when you snooze! Change that price, if they were too lazy to be aware, now I have to raised it to $150.00 per thousand!
Matt

joem
03-30-2013, 11:10
I'm pretty well stocked up on stuff. Maybe by the end of the year prices will drop when supply catches up with demand.

holdover
03-31-2013, 09:02
I understand part of the high prices, dealers cannot get resupped, when they sell what they have there is no more inventory, but they still have to pay the rent and light bill. Back in Jan I bought Win large and small primers for 31 per K, Last week I bought some IMR powder for 24 a LB, but with a limit of only 2 pounds at Sportsman's Warehouse, there was no primers or brass or bullets for any caliber and very little loaded ammo for rifles or pistols, but there was all kinds of shotgun ammo at both Sportsman's Warehouse and Gander Mtn in Roanoke VA

Matt Anthony
04-01-2013, 02:49
I understand part of the high prices, dealers cannot get resupped, when they sell what they have there is no more inventory, but they still have to pay the rent and light bill. Back in Jan I bought Win large and small primers for 31 per K, Last week I bought some IMR powder for 24 a LB, but with a limit of only 2 pounds at Sportsman's Warehouse, there was no primers or brass or bullets for any caliber and very little loaded ammo for rifles or pistols, but there was all kinds of shotgun ammo at both Sportsman's Warehouse and Gander Mtn in Roanoke VA

If people would of been watching and paying attention the last four years, they would of already had their stash and be prepared. Our population has a changed attitude and the ones that bought everything on the shelves were either ill prepared or people who wish to sell what they bought for an increased profit. Let's face it, before O put out the fear, sales were not steady due to the economy being stagnant. People didn't have the extra money to stock up, this has been for more than the four years since the housing scandal and bank scandals hit us. So, needless to say, there are probably a dozen reasons why this shortage is upon us now. The ones that stocked up before are in good shape, the others, well not so in good shape.

For the ones that are just starting out as first time buyers, they are being hit with sticker shock on every aspect of shooting, be it reloading, just plinking or home defense. I know because my new son in law took a liking to shooting and is seeing how much it costs to reload, shoot and purchase firearms today. He will survive, but it is expensive if you choose to buy new. You can still get deals in garage, estate or flea markets, but those folks are getting wiser on what they have too, so it won't be long until they realize what they really have is worth more and price their merchandise accordingly.

We as a nation are surely in a quandry of uncertainty of the future of our great country due to the misfits that now were re-elected for another 4 years.
Matt

tmark
04-01-2013, 08:35
Do you remember the days when primers were a penny each? Waaaaay back in the mid sixties?

JimF
04-02-2013, 05:29
Do you remember the days when primers were a penny each? Waaaaay back in the mid sixties?

Back then, a local store in Danbury Ct., sold them for SEVENTY-FIVE CENTS per hundred! (I still have some of those.) --Jim