PDA

View Full Version : How to wrap pull through??

WHG
03-25-2013, 03:08
Someone had posted an illustrated step by step "how to wrap an Enfield Pull through" (was it our friend Louis from down under?) but I can't find it anymore and seem to have forgotten how it is done properly. I was going to show a friend who just recently purchased a No4 Mk I, but now I'm not sure myself and really don't want to make a fool of myself by showing him how not to do it. Anyone got pics and instructions they can share?

dogtag
03-25-2013, 05:45
What do you mean by "wrap a pull-through " ?

When I went into the British Army in 54 I was issued L.E #4
which I used during basic. We cleaned our rifles with a pull-through.
It's not complicated: We doused a small piece of rag with oil from
the issued bottle stored in the butt, placed it through the loop,
dropped the weight down the bore from the breach end then
pulled it through.

JB White
03-25-2013, 06:00
Dogtag,

He's asking about how to wrap it for stowage in the butt trap :)

Wrap it a few times around the breadth of four fingers starting with the looped end, then tightly coil the remainder around that wrap. (remember to remove your fingers first! LOL) You should leave enough of a tail to push a halfhitch loop through the end of the long coil, then insert the weight through that to pull it snug.
The coiled pullthrough will then be inserted into the butt trap atop the oiler. The tail with the weight will stow into the drilled hole. Having half a coil or so extra is no big deal as than can be pushed down atop the pullthrough itself.

HTH?

JB

*edit* Here's a site that shows it:

http://www.great-war-assoc.org/pull_thru.htm

The other sites which used to display the methods have been gone for a while. That's the problem with electronic data storage vs. books!!

dogtag
03-26-2013, 03:12
Don't remember ever doing that. N'or do I remember ever being shown how to do that.
Probably the Army figured scrubbing the floor mirror bright was more important
that how to stuff a piece of rope into a small hole.
But, that was long ago and far away, and my memory isn't what it was.

JB White
03-26-2013, 03:52
Well thankfully for you wrapping a pullthrough was never the highlight of your day!

John Sukey
03-27-2013, 12:00
Once you have it wrapped, stick it in the buttstock, AND LEAVE IT THERE! Thats why they make cleaning rods!!!!
One problem with pull throughs is "cord wear" Unless you are very careful, you will wear the rifling at the muzzle.

JB White
03-27-2013, 06:24
I keep nothing in the traps anymore. Unless the pullthrough and oiler are removed at regular intervals, verdigris can fuse things to the point of being a bear to get out.

WHG
03-27-2013, 11:43
My friend wants to have his rifle as close to what it would have been as issued to the troops as he can. He has no intention of using the pull through to clean the bore, just wants it there so the rifle is complete.

John Sukey
03-28-2013, 01:18
Well the oil bottle goes in first. A No1Mk3 should have a brass one, but you can use bakelite one in a No4

Alan De Enfield
03-28-2013, 05:06
And - the best use for your oiler bottle is as a spares holder for those little parts that will ruin your day if they break - A broken case extractor, an extractor, extractor spring and extractor screw.All fit nicely.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t219/Alan_de_Enfield/DSCF0011-6.jpg