PDA

View Full Version : Need Colt 1911A1 help identify???

Brad
03-25-2013, 01:00
Perhaps you all can give me a little help?

I have a Colt 1911A1 that I have some questions about. I think it could be basically all Colt, but just am not sure. The serial number is 1162825. The entire pistil does not seem to be refinished because all the markings,, corners etc are sharp and clear, not appearing to be buffed or polished.
But the actual numbers of the serial number are a little wavy, crooked.
Also, the frame is missing the G.H.D. There is no crossed cannons on the slide, but I think there should not be for this year?
I have Clawsons book as well as a Harrisons. I know the reputation for the Harrisons,
First question? Assuming this is the original s/n, when was it made?
Secondly. I was once told that some of these pistols were rebuilt in the field and given a new frame, hence the s/n and no inspector mark? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? ANd how could one ever be prooved?
There are no rebuilt markings on this pistol and it appears all ok other than the missing GHD.
Third, Could that inspectors mark simply been overlooked during production?
I can take and send some photos to whomever might be interested in helping?
I'd appreciate it.
If you want to e-mail me it is longhunter@digitalrazor.net
Thanks,
Brad

Duane Hansen
03-25-2013, 02:06
That serial number is indeed a Colt 1911A1 and it was shipped Jan 18, 1944 to Springfield in a 2000 pistol shipment. By the sounds of things it is possible that your frame was made up using some other GI or possibly non-GI pistol frame. With the goofy, wavy serial number and no GHD, which it definately would have had and the Crossed Cannon missing too, my hypothesis sounds very likely. You will need to post pictures or you can send me some close up detailed pictures and I will see if I can help you.

Johnny P
03-25-2013, 02:19
There were no 1911A1 spare receivers.

Brad
03-25-2013, 03:46
Mr Hansen,
I sent you a PM requesting an e-mail address to send photos to?
I would post them here but I have tried unsuccessfully before to post photos on this site.
I just am not very computer literate.
Thanks,

Duane Hansen
03-25-2013, 04:13
dehansen39atcomcast.net replace at with @