PDA

View Full Version : EMPEROR

Griff Murphey
03-25-2013, 10:56
Tommy Lee Jones as MacArthur... Robert Duvall would have been my pick. Tommy is just too Texan. The opening scene... Highly polished C-54 BATAAN landing in Tokyo... Realistic Japanese aircraft wreckage... Japanese troops lining the route. Whoops. Did you miss it? That was the movie, as far as drama and interest. The rest of the film grinds along... B. Gen. Fellers, the main character, maddeningly goes through the entire movie with the two top buttons of his khaki uniform unbuttoned, yet the second button never moves more than 1/4" from the left button hole, thanks to the magic of costumers. Maybe it was good that I had that to focus on because there was little else. The scene where Fellers and about a squad of headquarters types confront a bunch of grunting, Samouri sword wielding Palace guards is slightly interesting. Otherwise the viewer follows Fellows through the rubble of bombed out Tokyo and the city of Shimouza looking for his lost love. I think I saw a Garand with the sling attached to the stacking swivel, ahhhhgggh!
I give it one star. Real Nipponophiles may enjoy it...

Sully
03-25-2013, 09:01
Enjoyed the book.
Tommy Lee Jones often is in this author's movies, I'm told.

Too bad, may still try it on DVD.