PDA

View Full Version : Is there any place on the internet

S.B.
03-24-2013, 05:47
I could look up the serial number of my P.38 to see what unit it went to or perhaps who it was issued to?
Steve

Johnny P
03-24-2013, 07:14
No such information exists.

S.B.
03-25-2013, 02:53
Too bad. So much history could be available this way.
Steve

Waltherman
03-25-2013, 07:53
Steve Yes it could, but most all the "records" were burned to stay warm.

kwill
03-25-2013, 02:03
Steve

Seriously? Think about what that would mean: universal, world-wide, easily accessible gun registration from the point of manufacture right through to the present owner. No need for the NRA anymore! No offense intended and I'm sure that's not what you meant but as much fun as it is to find a military weapon with some solid provenance I do not want the such a universal registration system in place.

S.B.
03-25-2013, 02:24
kwill, don't know where your coming from but, not what I had in mind!
Steve

barkerwc4362
03-25-2013, 05:09
Contrary to what "everyone" believes, no military keeps down to the second status of their small arms. The U.S. Army (what I am intimately familiar with) couldn't care less what individual is issued what weapon. They are concerned about making sure the weapons are properly secured and accounted for. A solider upon reporting to a unit is assigned a weapon and is given a weapons card that he gives to the armorer when he draws his weapon. When he turns the weapon back into the armorer he receives the weapons card back. The small arms are inventoried monthly by an dis-interested officer (someone who is not signed for the weapons) Paperwork to transfer weapons is required, even if it is only for maintenance. All of the paperwork is only keep for a short period of time. When a soldier leaves a unit the weapons card is turned in and destroyed. With most small arms you know the date it was manufactured and by whom, plus who (Unit) owns it right now. If it is removed from service and disposed of, then usually only the date it was manufactured and by whom. Unless of course someone failed to properly destroy the records and then you get a hint. There is no log book like major end items (aircraft) that you can see where they have been.

Bill

ignats
03-25-2013, 07:34
Not to mention that the internet didn't exist back when most of the weapons we collect were made. As previously mentioned, the military didn't keep records of who had which weapon. It was signed for and when turned in the, armory's weapon card was disposed of. There was no need to keep it. The weapon was then assigned to the next guy that checked in to the unit and so on. That could change once a year and did during the Vietnam era.