PDA

View Full Version : Krag unit mark ID?

Len
03-24-2013, 06:40
I just acquired this 1901 date M1898 Krag. Marked on the top of the butt are the letters RINB over the #449. Can anyone decipher the unit?

Thanks ,
Len

dave
03-24-2013, 06:57
It was not the custom of Amer. Units to mark weapons.

Dick Hosmer
03-24-2013, 07:17
It would be more accurate to say that it was not the custom of regular US army units to mark weapons, though there are a few exceptions. But, State troops of the Krag era routinely marked theirs, so, given that example, I'd suspect something to do with Rhode Island - possibly something like "Naval Battalion".

jon_norstog
03-24-2013, 09:45
Dick, you beat me to that one. Here's a possible:

http://www.riseacadets.org/index1.html

Rhode Island Naval Sea Cadet Battlalion. They are still drilling with '03 Springfields.

jn

Len
03-24-2013, 11:01
You nailed it Dick. A book on the history of the US Naval militia lists a R.I. Naval Battalion in existence at the end of the 19th century.

RCS
03-24-2013, 11:36
While not a Krag, this early SA 1903 single bolt stock has the following markings on the top of the buttplate tang: H 8 18 which the 1903 collectors inform me is the Troop H 8th Cavalry Trooper 18. This unit was in the Mexican Punitive Expedition and Lt Geo Patton was at one time a 1st Lieutenant in Troop H.

But after doing some searching, I can not anything about Patton being assigned to Troop H ? Alot of history with the 8th Cavalry in the P I too

Dick Hosmer
03-24-2013, 07:49
You nailed it Dick. A book on the history of the US Naval militia lists a R.I. Naval Battalion in existence at the end of the 19th century.

Well, I had a good lead for starters: I have a .45-70 Rem-Lee Navy from the California Naval Battalion, so I was already aware of the "cadet" program.

kragluver
03-25-2013, 12:22
But after doing some searching, I can not anything about Patton being assigned to Troop H ?

During the Punitive Expedition, Patton was temporarily assigned to Pershing's HQ as an aide. He had begged Pershing to take him along as the unit he was assigned to was not picked to go.

Pershing was close with Patton and he started dating Patton's sister at about this time. Patton actually worried about seeming favoritism having a negative impact on his career.