PDA

View Full Version : Serial Number 215787

Mark Daiute
03-23-2013, 07:14
1903 Springfield Serial Number 215787. what year would this rifle have been manufactured? Any other info, of course, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Rick the Librarian
03-23-2013, 09:03
If your rifle is a Springfield Model 1903, about 1906 for a serialization date; if a Rock Island about 1911 or 1912. It may have started out chambered in 30-03.

If you can procide further information or pictures, we can help you further. Start by listing the barrel manufacturer and date, stock type and markings, etc.

Mark Daiute
03-24-2013, 09:05
If your rifle is a Springfield Model 1903, about 1906 for a serialization date; if a Rock Island about 1911 or 1912. It may have started out chambered in 30-03.

If you can procide further information or pictures, we can help you further. Start by listing the barrel manufacturer and date, stock type and markings, etc.

sorry, no pictures the rifle is not (yet) in my possession. This is a Springfield rifle, not Rock Island Arsenal Rifle and it has an Avis barrel dated 11-18. I've been following this rifle for some time now and have been waiting for finances to come in line with the asking price.

Most of the bluing is gone, there are hints of the cartouche and the circled-P. The bolt is not original to the rifle (an educated friend advised me on that detail). I simply like the rifle. The bore is perfect/like new.

I may put some money down on the rifle.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks!

Art
03-24-2013, 09:58
The rifle was rebuilt at least once and the smart money would be on at least twice. Apparently from the amount of wear it wasn't withdrawn and put into reserve so it's a bit surprising the rifle didn't wind up being broken down for parts and having its receiver scrapped sometime in the 1920s or '30s. Does it have a "Hatcher Hole?"

Mark Daiute
03-24-2013, 10:28
I'm quite sure the Hatcher hole was there. Would it have been on the right side and not the left side as well? I remember seeing it on the right hand side....

Art
03-24-2013, 10:34
I'm quite sure the Hatcher hole was there. Would it have been on the right side and not the left side as well? I remember seeing it on the right hand side....

M1903 rifles originally had a small and pretty much useless gas escape hole on the right side of the receiver. Later, during overhaul, especially if USMC rifles, many had a large gas escape hole (Hatcher Hole) drilled on the left side of the receiver. This was a much better place for it.

Art
03-24-2013, 10:35

M1903 rifles originally had a small and pretty much useless gas escape hole on the right side of the receiver. Later, during overhaul, especially if USMC rifles, many had a large gas escape hole (Hatcher Hole) drilled on the left side of the receiver. This was a much better place for it.

Sorry for the duplicate. CSP and my "Magic Machine" aren't getting along today.

Mark Daiute
03-24-2013, 11:24
HONESTLY CANT' REMEMBER AND I SHOULD'VE LOOKED FOR IT.

My machine is in the same boat with CSP today

Good input. Thanks,

Mark