PDA

View Full Version : Pre-formed 'IN-LINE' pyrodex pellets in Thompson/Center Hawken .50 okay?

drweiler
03-22-2013, 06:34
Just acquired T/C Hawken caplock sn#12120. This isn't my first rodeo in black powder shooting, I've always been a traditionalist. However, in the wealth of accessories that came with this private purchase are several hundred Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets (50/30's and 50/50's) marked on the packages 'For 50 caliber IN-LINE Muzzleloaders'. Can I use these in the conventional Hawken, or trade them off? Thanks for your thoughts, Don.

older than dirt
03-22-2013, 08:12
From what I`ve heard, they work but not very well.

JBinIll
03-22-2013, 08:40
Hard to ignite with std. percussion caps,that's why inlines use 209 primers for ignition.Plus in a side lock gun with a breech the fire from the cap is not in a direct straight line to the powder.Some guys change the nipple out from the standard one using No.11 caps to one that uses musket caps with varying degrees of success.

BudT
03-22-2013, 10:51
Be sure to put the darker black end toward the cap. I have used them and find them no harder to ignite than anything else you will use. You can use them in any 50 cal BP rifle. When you seat the slug over them just make sure it is seated firm you dont want to crush the pellets. You can build a lot of combinations with the 50 and 30 grain pellets. They are yours to shoot or trade if your more comfortable with lose powder. You should at least try them before you decide what to do but it's up to you.

dogtag
03-23-2013, 04:34
If it were me, I'd dump them and buy some 2F BP.
In my opinion, none of the fake powders are as good as BP.
And NO, they don't clean up any easier.

drweiler
03-23-2013, 06:10
If it were me, I'd dump them and buy some 2F BP.
In my opinion, none of the fake powders are as good as BP.
And NO, they don't clean up any easier.Got plenty of 2F, use it in my Parker Hale .577 two band. Never shot anything but BP in my originals or replicas. Guess I'll just shoot these pellets up or share with friends at the club. Thanks for all your responses. Don

noslack327
03-24-2013, 07:18
I use 3 grains of ffff first and then the pellets, works well for me.