PDA

View Full Version : 300 AAC Blackout

Bill D
03-22-2013, 06:33
My son-in-law stopped by this evening with some information on the 300AAC Blackout that he has on order. When he first told me about ordering this caliber, I thought he was slightly daft but after doing a little research, I'm almost sold. He is getting his suppressed and it sort of looks like the best of both worlds - supersonic AND subsonic.

Anybody here have any thoughts or experience with this caliber on an AR platform?

joem
03-23-2013, 06:54
A couple of years ago a fellow was trying out a AR with .300 black out ammo. He would have been better off with a bolt action rifle as he had to charge every round into the chamber.

C5M1
03-23-2013, 07:48
The only thing it has over the 7.62x39 is the use of 223 brass and ar magazines. Slightly inferior to the 6.8 spc ballistics. Lotsa info out there. Should be a fun caliber to play with if you reload.

regards, dennis

RCS
03-23-2013, 07:54
Bill, There is a nice article on the 300 ACC in the March 20th issue of "The Shotgun News"

Bill D
03-23-2013, 08:44
A couple of years ago a fellow was trying out a AR with .300 black out ammo. He would have been better off with a bolt action rifle as he had to charge every round into the chamber.

From what I read, powder selection is critical so far as getting the action to cycle reliably with subsonic ammunition.

Bill D
03-23-2013, 08:45
Bill, There is a nice article on the 300 ACC in the March 20th issue of "The Shotgun News"

Thanks! I'll try to find a copy.

gwp
03-23-2013, 09:16
Last year I purchased a DS Arms and a Palmetto State Armory complete upper in 300 BLK. The PSA upper took two months to ship and the DSA took over three months to ship. PSA had problems with the chambers. The chambers were out of specification after the double thick chroming of the chamber and bore. PSA delayed shipping until the problem was fixed. DSA was slow because they take orders on products they have not produced, so they fill the order when they make the product.

The DSA upper functioned well. The PSA required the addition of an extractor o-ring before it would function reliably.

Both uppers groups were in the one and two inch range at 100 yards with all the ammunition tested. PNW Arms, Remington/UMC and Gunn Ammunition were tested (110, 125, 130, 147, 155 and 220 grain). I tested a box of PNW and Gunn 220 grain subsonic (ten of each per rifle) and the groups were the largest of the ammo tested. I have not purchased a suppressor so I use the faster ammunition. The tightest groups were with the PNW 125gr Nosier Ballistic Tip. The Remington/UMC 110gr and PNW Range 147gr are the least expensive factory ammunition.

I expect factory 300 BLK ammunition to be in short supply until the supply of .223/5.56 has caught up with the demand for that ammo.

Bill D
03-23-2013, 09:31
Thanks! Did the 220 grain subsonic ammo you purchased cycle the action reliably?

gwp
03-23-2013, 09:34
Thanks! Did the 220 grain subsonic ammo you purchased cycle the action reliably?

I did not have problems with the 40 subsonic rounds I shot.

gwp
03-23-2013, 09:53
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/ hosted by Robert Silvers, has a very positive view of the 300BLK.

ThePlinker
06-07-2013, 10:10
Long but good -- Travis Haley 300Blk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKjbySsAik)

Bill D
06-08-2013, 07:34
Thanks for posting this. If I can find an upper in .300 Blackout, I'm going to have a suppressed rifle.

leemozoid
06-23-2013, 07:31
From what I read, powder selection is critical so far as getting the action to cycle reliably with subsonic ammunition.

8.5-9.0 grains of Lil' Gun and a pulled M2 AP bullet with a tight crimp cycle reliably in my 9" build using a YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom suppressor.

Gratuitous video link. This is 220 Remington OTM subsonic.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/leemozoid/th_20130621_104018_zps03f9d623.jpg (http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/leemozoid/20130621_104018_zps03f9d623.mp4)

Rifleman WI
06-24-2013, 05:55
I love my 300BLK. I built my 16" AR in 300BLK to make a nice light rifle for hunting on foot (so I don't ding up my M1 Carbine). I had some cycling issues, but all I had to do was open up the gasport to .125
I plan on building another in 10.5 and 14.5 when parts come back in stock.

gmg1183
06-24-2013, 01:50
A friend of mine bought one of theses uppers, but is having a heck of a time finding anyone with ammo. He has some back ordered from a couple of places, but a few weeks out.

Rifleman WI
06-25-2013, 05:56
A friend of mine bought one of theses uppers, but is having a heck of a time finding anyone with ammo. He has some back ordered from a couple of places, but a few weeks out.

That is the hardest part right now, I paid $25 a box last month for regular Remington Supersonics just so I could still shoot mine. They usually went for $11 a box before the scare.

Bill D
07-22-2013, 02:16
I finally bit the bullet and bought a CMMG in .300 AAG Blackout. I have been learning the best way to fabricate ammo since I got it. Loaded ammo of any type is impossible to find here so I'm going to roll my own from scratch. I was finally able to find a box of 150 grain HPBT Sierra bullets and by calling Sierra was able to find a powder that I had that they would suggest a load for. I loaded up a few rounds of resized LC brass with 16 grains of IMR4227 and Winchester SR primers and the aforementioned 150 HPBT Sierras and headed up into the mountains for a function test. I fired three rounds for effect and found the rifle functioned fine with them but the fired primers were a bit flat. Accuracy was outstanding with my old eyes and the plastic Magpul rear sight that came with the rifle. I have loaded up several rounds with 15.5 grains of the IMR 4227 and will take it out later in the week and see what they act like.

I really like the CMMG rifle. It seems to be the standard AR15 platform and looks as good as any of the rest of the herd that I own (Colt, Rock River, Olympic Arms). It came with a standard AR front sight mounted on a stainless steel 1-8 twist barrel and has a picatinny flat upper mounting a Magpul fold-down rear sight. The Magpul is good enough for an emergency but this rifle is getting a Leupold Tactical scope in 4.5X 14 power for a user. Like most other out of the Box AR's, it could also stand to be fitted with a better trigger which it will get. I also have a silencer/suppressor ordered. Paperwork is all done - just waiting on the Feds to bless it. My next project will be to continue my stamp collecting and cut the barrel back to 8.5" and find some 220 grain FMJ's and a powder to use with them.

And the hemmoraging of greenbacks continues.

NASAman
11-21-2013, 07:18
I read the article in Shotgun News and was very impressed with it and since I had just gotten a new receiver from my club I decided to build a copy of the rifle in the article. It has been a fun project and I have learned a lot doing it. I found that there are two different types of front sight for the AR15, a rail mount and a gas block mount. They are different heights. Of course I bought a rail mount and stuck it on the gas block since I was ignorant at the time and was hitting about two feet high at 25 yards. I have also had magazine issues and found that the older Mil-Spec metal mags seem to work the best. It does not like the plastic mags and I bought some brand new, in the wrapper Colt mags at a gunshow and they are of very poor quality and made from thin sheet metal and don't feed reliably. I have only shot a few rounds through it so far but it seems like this will be a fun gun for an urban defense weapon. Those urbans can be dangerous you know!