PDA

View Full Version : it must be to complicated to figure out...

Fred
03-21-2013, 05:38
Take a look at this consigned 25 round extension magazine to be sold on Gunbroker through a dealer. I don't think that the owner of the magazine knows how to remove the magazine from the trigger guard and so he's pulled the trigger guard off of his rifle with the magazine still attached to it and is having the gun dealer sell them together. The auction says that whoever buys the magazine must also send them another trigger guard along with their payment. When I made an inquiry to the gun dealer as to why the magazine isn't just removed from the trigger guard, He replied that I'd have to ask the owner. I think that it's possible that neither one of them knows how to seperate them. After I've witnessed literaly dozens of halfwits who do not know how to remove a cleaning rod from it's channel on a trapdoor springfield, I have to assume that these two people are stumped as to what to do. OMG...and they're voting in national elections that concern National Policies... :icon_rolleyes:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333112444

TomWatts
03-21-2013, 06:43
All that other aside, I wish I could talk myself into buying it!

Cheers
Tom

Fred
03-22-2013, 06:15
Yea, they shouldn't be priced that high though. The last one on Gunbroker just three or so days ago went for around $550.00, and it had the top plate with it. I bought two a few months ago on Gunbroker that the seller thought were reprodutions. Of course nobody is making reproduction magazines of this sort. I paid the asking price of $125.00 total for both of them. I wont ever be THAT lucky again.

chuckindenver
03-22-2013, 06:40
for 1500.00 id think they could toss in a trigger guard...and maybe some KY jelly

Fred
03-22-2013, 07:40
There ought to be a rifle attached to that trigger guard for that price. The seller gave me the name of the owner and his phone number if I wanted to call him and explain how to take the magazine off of the trigger guard. Maybe I should.

Jeff L
03-22-2013, 07:48
Check out the seller's other items, all high priced with NO bids.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=608530

Fred
03-22-2013, 10:00
I do like the pre WWI 03 that he's selling. The stock has a splinter missing from the right edge, but I could live with that. There's also a gash in the rear sight elevation binding screw that occured when the rifle probably fell over. I could straighten that out as well as the kink in the slide. At least the price isn't up above $3,000.00 like others of that type. It's interesting how the finish of the receiver and bolt have turned a greenish color. I like it though. It looks honest.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333670514

George in NH
03-22-2013, 11:47
OK, I'll bite........How DOES one properly remove the cleaning rod from the channel of a Trapdoor rifle?
Yes, I do have an 1873 rifle, no I have not tried to remove the rod from the channel and nor have I even fired the rifle. "Some" day I guess.........Thx!!.........George in NH

John Beard
03-22-2013, 12:15
I do like the pre WWI 03 that he's selling. The stock has a splinter missing from the right edge, but I could live with that. There's also a gash in the rear sight elevation binding screw that occured when the rifle probably fell over. I could straighten that out as well as the kink in the slide. At least the price isn't up above $3,000.00 like others of that type. It's interesting how the finish of the receiver and bolt have turned a greenish color. I like it though. It looks honest.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=333670514

The rifle has been arsenal-overhauled, refinished (parkerized), re-assembled from mixed parts, and partially restored with a correct stock, handguard, and a few other parts.

J.B.

John Beard
03-22-2013, 12:20
OK, I'll bite........How DOES one properly remove the cleaning rod from the channel of a Trapdoor rifle?
Yes, I do have an 1873 rifle, no I have not tried to remove the rod from the channel and nor have I even fired the rifle. "Some" day I guess.........Thx!!.........George in NH

I have a Model 1884 Trapdoor Springfield. The cleaning rod has a swell and groove right in front of the upper band which engages a retainer embedded in the stock. The cleaning rod is removed by carefully bending the rod downward at the front to clear the retainer embedded in the stock, then sliding it out.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Fred
03-22-2013, 12:32
The rifle has been arsenal-overhauled, refinished (parkerized), re-assembled from mixed parts, and partially restored with a correct stock, handguard, and a few other parts.

J.B.

John, could you please identify the mixed parts used on the rifle for me? I can see that the rear sight slide binding screw has no grove around it and that the rear sight peep has no Platinum inlays to the horizintal line. Of course the rear band should have a split swivel, but I can't see that yet. Thanks. F.G.
Hmm... I'd like to see a rear sight leaf with platinum inlays. Now THAT would be a practicle thing to have on an 03. For my dim eyes anyway.

John Beard
03-22-2013, 03:09
John, could you please identify the mixed parts used on the rifle for me? I can see that the rear sight slide binding screw has no grove around it and that the rear sight peep has no Platinum inlays to the horizintal line. Of course the rear band should have a split swivel, but I can't see that yet. Thanks. F.G.
Hmm... I'd like to see a rear sight leaf with platinum inlays. Now THAT would be a practicle thing to have on an 03. For my dim eyes anyway.

The rifle clearly and unmistakably has been arsenal overhauled and refinished, apparently during the WWII period. Rifles coming out of arsenal overhaul were re-assembled with mixed parts. Whoever re-stocked and restored the rifle replaced most of the mixed parts. But he missed the rear sight assembly.

I have not requested the additional pictures offered. If he took the rifle apart and made more pictures, I feel confident that I could find perhaps a few more incorrect parts.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

p.s.,

I do NOT accuse the seller of intentionally misrepresenting the rifle.

John Sukey
03-22-2013, 04:42
Of course you could simply turn the cleaning rod on the trapdoor. The groove doesn't go all the way around

Fred
03-22-2013, 04:47
No of course not. Neither do I. It's just an early rifle to them and that's it. However I might ask for more pictures for the heck of it just to see any details.

Fred
03-22-2013, 04:48
Of course you could simply turn the cleaning rod on the trapdoor. The groove doesn't go all the way around

LOL, your funny John! :icon_lol: