PDA

View Full Version : US Offcier's WWI British-proofed Colt Goverment Model .45 ACP Pistol

varifleman
03-20-2013, 10:26
Here for your viewing pleasure are photos of my WWI British-proofed .45ACP Colt Government Model pistol C 13731 which was 1 of 300 shipped to the London Armoury Company on November 18 1914. The London commercial proof and view marks (Crown/intertwined GP and Crown/V) are visible on the barrel and on the left side slide just above the Rampant Colt and frame below the thumb safety. The accompanying US Model 1912 holster is marked 1st LT G C Wilkins. The owner of this pistol was 1st Lt George Carl Wilkins, a 1918 Harvard Graduate. He entered Officers' Training Camp at Plattsburg NY in May 1917; commissioned 1st Lt Infantry August 15; assigned to 301st Machine Gun Battalion, 76th Division and sailed for France July 8, 1918. He was transferred to the 146th Machine Gun Battalion, 41st Division on November 9 1918 and returned to the U.S. on February 25, 1919. He transferred to the 153rd Depot Brigade, Camp Dix on 27 February and was discharged on 25 May 1919.

varifleman
03-20-2013, 10:32
Several more photos

varifleman
03-20-2013, 10:36
and a few more

Duane Hansen
03-20-2013, 11:10
Looks like a very nice pistol and holster, thanks for sharing the pictures and story with us. And welcome to the forum.

Maybe you could give us some close ups of some of the detail and markings on the pistol and holster.

ebeeby
03-20-2013, 01:35
I have C18279, similarly marked. It too was shipped to the London Armoury Company. I wish it was as fine a condition as yours. Thanks for sharing.

varifleman
03-21-2013, 06:57
Hi Duane: Thanks for comments. The holster has no maker's name but I've posted a few photos to show 1st Lt G C Wilkins name inscribed on the holster. The first photo in the third series shows a close up of the London commercial proof/view marks on the barrel. The very first photo shows the London proof mark right above the Rampant Colt logo but I'll see if I can get a better close-up.

KevinB
03-21-2013, 08:52
The pistol is in beautiful shape. It does not look like it ws carried in a holster or in the trenches. I wonder if the good Lieutenant purchased it on his way home.

varifleman
03-23-2013, 11:01
The pistol is in beautiful shape. It does not look like it ws carried in a holster or in the trenches. I wonder if the good Lieutenant purchased it on his way home. kevinB, thanks for your coment. The pistol does have just the slighest wear at the muzzle but sure doesn't look like it saw any hard use. Maybe 1st Lt Wilkins bought the pistol if he visited or transited through England on his way to France.

jonnyo55
03-25-2013, 06:29
Beautiful pistol and with a great provenance. Interesting in that an American officer ended up with a pistol sold to England. I don't believe that England was a staging area for US troops during WWI as it was in WW2. Do you know if the London Armory was a Crown installation or a commercial concern? The holster appears to be a period private purchase as well. Maybe he just had an affection for the rig he carried "in the trenches" and wanted to buy a set to take home for himself. But, again, why in the UK?

varifleman
03-25-2013, 08:10
Beautiful pistol and with a great provenance. Interesting in that an American officer ended up with a pistol sold to England. I don't believe that England was a staging area for US troops during WWI as it was in WW2. Do you know if the London Armory was a Crown installation or a commercial concern? The holster appears to be a period private purchase as well. Maybe he just had an affection for the rig he carried "in the trenches" and wanted to buy a set to take home for himself. But, again, why in the UK?

Jonnyo55: Thanks for your comments. The London Armoury Company, Colt's distributor in the UK, handled commercial sales of Colt pistols there from July 1913 on. The convoy system in place in WWI first landed many of of the AEF troops in the UK where many of them were quartered and trained before being ferried across the English Channel to France. 1st Lt Wilkins may have transited through the UK on his way to France and may have bought the pistol there or may have visited the UK in a public or private capacity and bought the pistol then. There are many possible ways he could have acquired the pistol in the UK but absent an actual receipt we can only speculate.

4F4Nam
03-25-2013, 11:40
WOW! Just freaking WOW! Beautiful 1911.

Ed