PDA

View Full Version : 1903 Sporter Conversion Barrel Question

ogso
03-19-2013, 01:24
I have done several searches and and have not found an answer to my question, which is what is the difference between an '03 and an '03A3 barrel. Why? I have been given an '03 that was sporterized to the extent that it is in a sporter stock and had the barrel cut and recrowned where it necks down for the front sight. My thought is whoever did this just cut the barrel down rather than screw off the original and screw on an '03A3 barrel. The receiver number is 3060XXX, if someone can tell me what year this was manufactured. I'll look and see what the date on the barrel is this evening to see if they match. Question is do I leave it alone, sell it for parts, or find a barrel and make it a real 1903?

Thanks
Bill

Jeff L
03-19-2013, 01:59
Welcome to CSP Bill. A full restoration might be cost prohibitive.

kcw
03-19-2013, 03:15
osgo,
The A3 barrel came with only the front sight, the rear sight for that rifle is mounted at the rear of the receiver. The rear sight on the 03 was mounted on a collar affixed to the barrel immediately forward of the front edge of the receiver. As Jeff L notes, a proper restoration, especially if you're going to need a complete NOS 03 barrel assembly, is going to be economically questionable by the time you get all the parts together and have the barrel fitted. Also too, if your 03 receiver has been tapped for a scope or a receiver sight (ie. a Willams "Foolproof") as many were, the collector interest drops off remarkably. Also, if a scope was added, it's likely that your bolt handle has been modified too.
I suppose that if someone where "sporting" an 03 with a bad barrel, and he was intending to put a scope on it anyway, it might have made sense to ultilize a new A3 barrel as they were usually a bit less expessive (ie. $4 v. $6, back in 1959) and somewhat easier to come by than the 03's. Otherwise they usually modified the barrel that was on it if a GI spec barrel was acceptable..

dave
03-19-2013, 03:22
The main difference is that A3 barrels were two grove or a few six groove by S.C. Test by military showed equal accuracy 2 g=4 G.

Tom
03-19-2013, 07:00
Very good answer kcw, your first line is about as basic as it gets.

Kurt
03-19-2013, 10:09
I believe your dates to early 1942. As to the difference, I think Bob S covered it quite well on another forum where he said;

"The two are functionally interchangeable; that is, they will mate up to the opposite receiver and function. Sporters and Poor Man's Target Rifles made on '03 actions in the 50's and 60's often had 03A3 barrels, as they could be purchased from the DCM for 98 cents. The 03 barrel will install on a military 03A3 if the rear sight fixed base is removed, and the difference in profile is hidden under the barrel guard. The 03A3 barrel can be installed on a military '03, but it requires lathe work to reprofile to accept the '05 rear sight fixed base.

BTW, the first Remington 03A3's had barrels that had been profiled for the M1903 ... I own one ... so that's not a total anomaly.

Resp'y,
Bob S. "

chuckindenver
03-20-2013, 06:36
to add to what Kurt said.
the first run or 1903A3s had a mix of 1903 barrels used, they used what they had in stock, until it was used up.
iv had several early Remington A3s with a 1903 contured barrel installed...

broom jockey
03-20-2013, 02:48
Exact date of manufacture is 1xxx. 8-)

Tom
03-22-2013, 08:38
Exact date of manufacture is 1xxx. 8-)

That's hilarious, i laugh-out-loud when someone says that.

Randy A
03-22-2013, 11:30
The main difference is that A3 barrels were two grove or a few six groove by S.C. Test by military showed equal accuracy 2 g=4 G.

Not actually, 4 groove and two groove were going on simultaneously. Two groove production came along in 43 to help speed production, that's all. They still cranked out 4s too.