PDA

View Full Version : duffel bag stock cut at upper barrel band

coastie
03-18-2013, 07:02
Bought at auction.
Good deal with bayonet!
Grabbed it by the upper hand guard and ,,Opps =, slipped up there.
Anyone have thoughts of how to "repair" these?
Thanks, Paul

dave
03-19-2013, 06:07
You will get many replys. I have always just drilled a larger hole, sized for a standard doll rod and is not too large, a couple inchs into both pieces, epoxy the doll rod in place, using the upper band to align while curing. Drilled thru the doll rod with smaller hole for cleaning rod. No matter how you do it you should allow a gap for the saw cut which can also be filled with epoxy for greater strength. There are a couple ways to figure the gap width. When firing the strain on the cut is straight forward along the barrel, as the gun recoils back, does not take allot to hold the front parts in place.

kcw
03-19-2013, 08:24
Do a search for "Mauser duffle bag cut repair". There's a number of articles/suggestions available, most of them building on what Dave said. At least one article has VERY good pics.

kcw
03-19-2013, 08:43
I sort of like the article "Repairing a K98k duffle cut" @ Milsurps.com. The process uses a length of 1/4' brass tubing which fits into the cleaning rod channel, serving nicely as the primary alignment point.

coastie
03-24-2013, 08:58
Folks, thanks for the guides.

Like that tube idea, I may have a piece of SS tube.....somewhere?

Paul

dave
11-14-2013, 02:01
I have since learned of the tube method, used it once, so far. An excellent way to go! Got brake tubing at auto store, they come in varied shorter length. It was a Czech so used 5/16 tube (fatter cleaning rod).