PDA

View Full Version : 1911 on auction - originality

Lee T.
03-17-2013, 12:56
Hi all,
I'm no expert by any means, but I'm always trying to learn. Could someone please comment on this M1911? Is the price going into orbit, or is it actually justified? The way I read it, the barrel isn't right for the SN.
But I've been wrong before......
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331912982
(if the copy/paste link doesn't wotk the item number is there)
thanks, lee

Duane Hansen
03-17-2013, 07:52
It looks like it has the Vertical HP Colt Barrel which is correct for this pistol. If it is as nice as it appears to be in the pictures and it is the original finish too then it's probably worth the money. I would definately want to put my hands on the pistol first to make sure that it hasen't been refinished before spending this amount of money though.

People are looking for a good place to invest their money right now and high condition 1911 and 1911A1 pistols fit the bill. Nice stuff that is expensive now will just continue to increase in value in the future. That is why it is important to try and buy the nicest pistols that you can. IMO

Lee T.
03-18-2013, 06:39
Hi Duane, thanks for your reply. Regarding the barrel, I was going with the written description - has a "P" proofmark and "H" provisional inspection mark stamped on the top of the chamber perpendicular to the axis of the bore which sounds like a horizontal HP. I took a look with a magnifier and I now see that the barrel is the correct vertical HP.
I guess I haven't seen 1911's in that condition, so the photos make it look refinished. You'd think for that kind of money the seller could have posted a few more detailed pictures. At any rate, a hefty investment to be sure.

Duane Hansen
03-18-2013, 12:27
Investment grade 1911 and 1911A1 pistols are great hedges against inflation. Money in the bank is not......