PDA

View Full Version : 1918 colt 45acp

BT FROM KY
03-17-2013, 08:11
I have a Colt #3977xx, it DOES NOT have the propery of US Government stamp on it, all other factory markings are correct. My question is, Did "ALL" the 1911's made at this time have it? The Colt historical department told me the other day that they had seen some from this period that were not stamped with it, however, I've been told by some "experts" all were....I'm at a loss and don't know what to believe! Any help would be appreciated....

oldcanuck
03-17-2013, 09:40
Pictures always help.... but sans photos, the USP has been removed.

Johnny P
03-17-2013, 10:00
Like the Colt historical department I have also seen some pistols from that period without the USP stamp, but have never seen one that I though was original without it.

Duane Hansen
03-17-2013, 08:29
A large percentage of these pistols were liberated from Uncle Sam when the GI left the service. Many folks that did this decided to try and cover up the fact that their pistols were actually stolen from the Goverment. The first thing they did was remove the US Property markings, as if this would have fooled anyone at the time. All military 1911 and 1911A1 pistols left the factory with the USP markings to begin with and if anyone tells you that the pistol didn't have it to begin with, he is probably the one thats trying to sell it to you.