PDA

View Full Version : NM rear sight question

boykin
03-16-2013, 02:15
Have a GI NM that ia correctly marked, SA, T NM etc. Question is that it has an adjustable rear sight marked 30- Mar on the right side. Info appreciated. Thanks

Duane Hansen
03-16-2013, 03:29
Can you show pictures? Are you sure it doesn't say BOMAR ? Maybe the B is worn and looks like a 3.

Johnny P
03-16-2013, 04:12
Bomar wouldn't be original either. Those used were Micro, Triangle, Elliason, and Kensight.

Duane Hansen
03-16-2013, 04:21
Bomar wouldn't be original either. Those used were Micro, Triangle, Elliason, and Kensight.

Just throwing out suggestions to try and answer a question. I made no reference as to whether this would be original or not.

boykin
03-16-2013, 04:45
Duane, it is a weak struck B. This is an early gun with last 4 of SN on slide and STIPPLED front strap 57-58. Didn't start the Micro til the 60's I think.

Johnny P
03-16-2013, 05:17
Just throwing out suggestions to try and answer a question. I made no reference as to whether this would be original or not.

Since there was no mention of a Bomar not being an original sight, I just thought I would go ahead and add that. Too much information?

Duane Hansen
03-16-2013, 05:59
Perhaps.

Nah.....I was just messin with you. I always value what you have to say. Thanks Johnny......

Johnny P
03-17-2013, 10:07
A 1960 NM rear sight.

http://i50.tinypic.com/aaax6h.jpg

Duane Hansen
03-17-2013, 08:37
Have a GI NM that ia correctly marked, SA, T NM etc. Question is that it has an adjustable rear sight marked 30- Mar on the right side. Info appreciated. Thanks

It sounds to me like your pistol may be one that someone set up as a Bulls Eye Pistol rather than it actually being a legit National Match pistol. Pictures?

boykin
03-18-2013, 09:13
Duane and Johnny, I just spoke with an old friend in his 80's who worked on and shot the NM 1911A1s. He said the Micro sights won't worth a damn and frequently broke. When a match pistol came in to the armory with a broken Micro, they replaced it with a Bo-Mar. That probably explains why one of my NMs has the BO-MAR rear sight.

Johnny P
03-18-2013, 06:48
The Springfield Armory pistols were rebuilt every year for the Camp Perry National Matches in order that each shooter that drew a pistol was using the latest technology. The Micro sights were used for two years, with only the Triangle sight being used longer, three years. If there were a "fatal flaw" in the Micro sights it would have been found in the first year of use. Ruger successfully used the Micro sight on the target models for many years.

boykin
03-19-2013, 06:19
This old fellow has a drawer full of broken micro sights. He is giving me a blade I need for mine. What you are saying is "in the books", but this old fellow was there, did that, and has the tee shirt!

Johnny P
03-19-2013, 02:13
How about a picture of a drawer full of broken Micro sights? That should be a sight. The information on the NM pistols comes from Springfield archives, and not someone's recollections.

boykin
03-20-2013, 04:48
I am driving down Monday and will take a pict with my cell phone and email it to you. I don't know how to post on the web. Email address? He also has a number of the other sights you mentioned. When something broke he kept the parts and it has paid off over the years. He is a treasure trove of info on mil small arms from WW2 to beyond VN and has drawers and drawers of parts,and a library of TMs FMs etc As well as letters to and from various small armes boards.

Johnny P
03-20-2013, 05:31
Did you ever wonder what happened to the old sights when they upgraded to the newer sights on the NM pistols? They weren't broken, just replaced.

boykin
03-21-2013, 10:00
Don't know. I know Rock Island sold a bunch of stuff including Redfield mounts for the A4 sniper for the huge sum of 5 cents per pound back in the '60s.

boykin
03-30-2013, 02:01
By the way, reading the NM bulletin 1967 from Camp Perry states that several adjustable sights,including the Bo-Mar were used on the NM1911A1 Fact verified by one who was there